Security Cameras And Spiders - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 12-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 574

Security cameras and spiders

I have done a five page search on "security cameras" and could not find anything related to my question.

Does anyone have a feasible, not real expensive solution to keeping spiders from building their webs over night, on my 8 bullet style security cameras located outside ?

I have tried the spider sprays at almost $7 a can, and found they have a short life of rejecting them. The spray is also messy on my soffits all while trying to protect my cameras lens from the spray.

I know the infrared lights in my cameras are attracting the spiders (and other "fly by bugs" all night). The wind moves the spider webs all night long, which then triggers my webbed cameras ....as a recordable event.

Right now daily, my chore is to take my "Swiffer on a long stick" and go around and dust them all off, of which sometimes I forget to do.

Whenever I do forget to de-web and then review my last night's recordings, I get hours and hours of spider web shaking recordings to ...click pass.

Thanks in advance for any replies. .

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 12-25-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Security cameras and spiders

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home

Most of the natural repellants are marked inside but some of them may work outside. For example, ammonia or vinegar & cedar shavings.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,198

An interesting problem. If it was me I'd try spraying the brick with a fairly potent outdoor insect/spider killer and see what happens. Maybe even closer to ground level on the assumption they climb up from the ground. Maybe traversing a bunch of lethal brick would do them in. Just a thought with no first hand experience behind it.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

He said that he tried that. $7 a can.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,814

As you suggested, it may be the "other bugs" that the spiders are attracted to. I have a bug light with a fan and bug bag to collect them and it seems to work well. It would provide an alternate target for the insects and perhaps divert the spiders.

Also, I would expect the spiders are coming from the ground up so treating the perimeter of the house might also help. One caution, there is a lot of air entering your home due to natural convection (stack effect) that originated at the house to foundation location.

Bud

Sorry I type slow.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,466

Why spiders are active outdoors this time of year I wouldn't have a clue, but I've found we have very few under the eaves in warm weather since the Phoebe has decided to return early each Spring and stay through out the summer.
Attached Images

Nik333 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
He said that he tried that. $7 a can.
I'm not talking about stuff in a can. I'm talking about stuff you buy in gallon jugs that would do your entire house twice over for 10 bucks and last 8-12 months. I'm also not talking about spraying the soffit and making a mess on the white vinyl/aluminum. I'm saying to try the brick where it will be less noticeable. It will be less noticeable.
Oso954 and Bud9051 like this.
Gregsoldtruck79 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I'm not talking about stuff in a can. I'm talking about stuff you buy in gallon jugs that would do your entire house twice over for 10 bucks and last 8-12 months. I'm also not talking about spraying the soffit and making a mess on the white vinyl/aluminum. I'm saying to try the brick where it will be less noticeable. It will be less noticeable.

Good idea ! Are these sprays at our local big box stores for purchase or would they be for sale only.... to licensed pest control people ?

At our other home we moved from 3 years ago now, and with my wife having arachnophobia, we end up hiring a pro to spider spray for us.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Good idea ! Are these sprays at our local big box stores for purchase or would they be for sale only.... to licensed pest control people ?

At our other home we moved from 3 years ago now, and with my wife having arachnophobia, we end up hiring a pro to spider spray for us.
Have you considered using a garden hose to knock down the webs? Hiring a pro may be a good way out. They could get the population down and you could diy to maintain. It will also help to put your wife's mind at ease.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #10

QUOTE=47_47;4956626]Have you considered using a garden hose to knock down the webs? Hiring a pro may be a good way out. They could get the population down and you could diy to maintain. It will also help to put your wife's mind at ease.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm, I really don't want to get water spray in to my camera's lens directly.

Agreed, I may be forced to get a pro for the creepy legged creatures. When one gets retired, it seems every dollar has to be squeezed ... for us at least. The reasoning I am for looking for other solutions really. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,572

My Mother in Law swore by Hedge Balls. she put them in the rafters of her basement, I didnt see too many spiders. Not sure if youd like to hang one at each camera, but its a thought...
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 12

I bought a 2 terabyte HDD and it records 24/7 and I only review when a see a crime has happened ( so far never) but that is a good solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Contra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,274

When I lived in an almond orchard, the cameras on the house didn't attract the bugs, the porch lights did. And thus the spiders. There were some amazing bugs!
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 AM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,026

Oh, I know this one.....

My solution? A broom and....moving the cameras so they are not a 'convenient' home for their web.

Oh...and I turned off the infrared LED's. There is enough street light for a good image....and it stays in color. Gives me a much better image.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Oh, I know this one.....

My solution? A broom and....moving the cameras so they are not a 'convenient' home for their web.

Oh...and I turned off the infrared LED's. There is enough street light for a good image....and it stays in color. Gives me a much better image.
Yes, I know this one in blue too. A quite clear and justified response to me. I just opened and read the electrical forum a few minutes ago, and read the OP's reply to me on his dimmer install help thread and have replied back.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
security camera spiders