Rotted Studs, Baseplate, Sub Floor Replacement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Rotted Studs, Baseplate, Sub Floor Replacement

Hi Everyone!

I had a leaking window that has been fixed, but am now dealing with the damage from the leak.

Some studs near the window and also the base plate and tops of the joists have rotted. As you can see in the images, I have cut the studs and base plate to get to good wood.

The top inch or two of the joists nearest the wall have rotted or are soft in about an 8-10 inch section.

What is the recommended procedure for me to install a new subfloor over this section and also fix the studs? I am thinking I can insert new 2x4's at the bottom of the studs and sister a stud to them for support, but how do I address the fact that I dont have solid wood or a flat surface at the top of my joists in this small area?

Thanks in advance!

Chad
Attached Thumbnails
Rotted Studs, Baseplate, Sub Floor Replacement-img_0783.jpg   Rotted Studs, Baseplate, Sub Floor Replacement-img_0782.jpg  
chadmmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,260

Re: Rotted Studs, Baseplate, Sub Floor Replacement

You have a few problems. Brick absorbs water and needs a path between the brick and the house so water can make it's way to the bottom and out the weep holes.
I would guess the foam was doing that. So you will need a plan for repairing that.
Two of the studs beside the window are load bearing and are the most important.
Your plan for just pieces with scabs will work but first you have to deal with the soft rim joist as that will not support those studs.
I think I would be cutting out the rim joists and go a few more inches both ways to get out of the black stuff. Then it would be best to replace them with really dry pieces, some times used is better than new wet because the wet will shrink.
I sure loos like there is nothing under the edge of the sub floor along the wall, strange.

You might wash the black off with a detergent but you do not know how bad it is on the far side.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement