Rotted Exterior Door Jamb Repair - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,580

Rotted exterior door jamb repair

I have an exterior door where the door jamb was getting a sprinkler head spraying on it for a while and now it's rotted in the bottom 2-3".

I removed all the rotted and loose wood and have filled in with high quality structural wood epoxy putty from Abatron. I have used this product before and it's very strong. Once it cures I will then paint on a thin layer of liquid epoxy over the bottom jamb, then paint over.

The problem I have is not with the repair itself, but the location of the repair is at a spot where the back of the door will make contact with the repaired area when the door is closed. I have put masking tape on the door edge, as well as masking tape over the repair area for now, while I wait for the epoxy putty to cure. Once it's cured I plan to peel off the masking tape, sand it smooth then lay on a thin layer of liquid epoxy - now the question is once I did that, how will I be able to "protect" it to wait for it to cure? Or when I paint that edge? How would I avoid messing with it with the door edge? I can't leave the door open 24 hours because the jamb has to be left untouched...any tricks?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Can you post a picture of it. Is it just the Brick mold around the outside edge, that is rotted, or is it the wood framing around the perimeter of the door.

If it is just the Brick Molding, you can get PVC trim to replace the wood, and then use Bondo or Wood Putty, which is like Bondo, but has saw dust in it, to repair any sections on the wood framing for the door framing.

Post some pictures of the door, with a wide angle shot, and a shot of the damaged area that you are talking about.

As for the sprinkler, you need to re-aim it, so that it is not hitting the house, or you will continue causing damage, along with causing moisture issues behind the wood, inside the wall framing, that can lead to mold between the outer sheathing and the drywall inside.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

It is not any moulding or trim.

It is the portion of the wood jamb that when you close the door, the vertical edge of the door, on the hinged side, will come in full contact with.

I know how to make the repair, that's not the issue. The issue is once the repair is made, it needs time to cure. Later when I paint, it needs time to dry. I was wondering if there is any trick, that I can use, to ALLOW the product to cure or dry, without having to leave the door in the open position for a long while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
It is not any moulding or trim.

It is the portion of the wood jamb that when you close the door, the vertical edge of the door, on the hinged side, will come in full contact with.

I know how to make the repair, that's not the issue. The issue is once the repair is made, it needs time to cure. Later when I paint, it needs time to dry. I was wondering if there is any trick, that I can use, to ALLOW the product to cure or dry, without having to leave the door in the open position for a long while.
Ayuh,.... Epoxy puttys set up in Minutes, not days,...

Ditto epoxy paints,....

Leave the door Open, til dry to the touch,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Ok so you are saying I am using the wrong kind of epoxy putty.

I have some left over structural epoxy from Abatron, the $75 for half a pint kind. It takes 3-5 hours to dry to touch and 5 days to reach full cured strength. Probably an overkill for a door jamb but its not going anywhere once it cures.

May be I should have used the big box stores quick set wood epoxy?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Have you tried "PC woody". Ive used it everywhere and it seems to be the best of everything.
SeaMck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,022

Why not just replace the rotten jamb?
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
Why not just replace the rotten jamb?
That was one option. I chose not to.