Rip Down And Replace Ceiling Or Cut And Patch? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 480

Rip down and replace ceiling or cut and patch?

We're renovating our finished basement and we want pot lights and speakers in the ceiling. Currently there are no lights (or holes for that matter) in the ceiling so we have two options if we want to do this.

1.) Rip the entire ceiling down and install everything and redo it *
2.) Cut holes to run the wires and install the lights and then patch the holes.

I'm worried that #2 will leave us with a messy ceiling since it's textured now and would be impossible to match it. I'm worried #1 would be wasteful and much more expensive.

Thoughts?

* A ripdown would also allow us to inspect everything and fix/reroute stuff if necessary.
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

You mean can lighting? I would just buy can lights for old construction and the trim work covers the holes you make and yes I would do it that way. easy peasy.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
You mean can lighting? I would just buy can lights for old construction and the trim work covers the holes you make and yes I would do it that way. easy peasy.
I'd have to path all the holes I have to make to run wire, so a hole every 12-16" all over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

I guess if there is nothing blocking I could snake the wires parallel to the joists but I'd have to cut holes to go from joists to joist which would be hard through a 3" hole.

Reading other threads someone suggested applying 1/4 drywall after the face to smooth everything over but if Im going to do that is there any reason to leave the existing stuff up?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 468

When the basemnet ceiling was finished with textured drywall, was there access left to all the areas that need to be accessed in a basement ceiling like electrical junction boxes, water valves etc. Sometimes a previous homeowner will hang dryboard and texture a basement ceiling to give it nice finished look without much consideration to leaving access to junction boxes. I found a lot of hidden junction boxes when I started tearing down the accoustical ceiling panels that the PO had stapled up. There should be access in the joist cavities and you may find some previously drilled holes in between joists you can use instead of drilling new access holes in the joists. If you are not sure of what is behind that ceiling, you might do well to start with a small hole to have a peek at what's under that ceiling.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement