Retroactive Permit For Replacement Windows - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree29Likes

Old 03-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Retroactive Permit for Replacement Windows

Hello,

Looking to get an opinion on what to do here. I had some windows installed thinking the contractors would get the permit all set up. They just left and replaced all 13 windows in the home. Turns out no permit was pulled. I checked the local ordinance and a permit is required for replacement of windows.

Do I let this roll and not mention anything of it, or should I call the city and explain the confusion? Would they really pull all of the newly installed windows to inspect? Would they be able to just check and see that the original frames are intact and we simply replaced the windows with the same size and style without ripping out all of the windows?

Looking for opinions here.

Thanks,

K
kman711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,574

Re: Retroactive Permit for Replacement Windows

Call the town from not your home phone and ask without giving details of the location.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Good idea. lol. Fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,140

I'm afraid I'm a bit more up front when dealing with the town that I live in and will be dealing with for many years in the future. Get on your horse and get down there and apologize and ask them what they want you to do.

For one, that contractor is more responsible than you as he is in the business of dealing with permits. He shouldn't have started without a permit posted on the front of the house and I would expect the town to explain that to him. Regardless of what they require, much better now than a few years from now. Honesty can go a lot further than trying to hide the renovation.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

That's also a good point Bud. I am worried that all 13 windows need to be ripped out, inspected and start over. This could be a real nightmare.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,524

I wouldn't worry yourself over it too much.. it's just windows..

My fence and kitchen went in without a permit years ago... since then I have had 2 permitted home additions - one of which included work in the prior unpermitted kitchen, 1 permitted major landscape project, multiple permitted tree removals, and a permitted fence for an area that wasn't done years ago..

So lots of work with the city and inspectors and not a single issue..

I am not suggesting you go around dodging permits... just that you shouldn't worry about it too much in your case..

Last edited by ryansdiydad; 03-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,140

I agree the resolution is unknown, but I actually doubt that would happen and less likely if you bring it to their attention. Not sure how exposed your home is to road traffic but I've seen cases where someone driving past noticed a lack of a permit and called it in, that is one reason they want it posted on the front of the building.

Take your checkbook and sacrifice yourself to their mercy. If they for some reason want those windows all removed to do their inspection I'm sure there is an appeal process where someone else can arbitrate what is needed.

Don't get caught with your hand in the cookie jar, hard to convince anyone you were looking for spare change.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18,118

I'm blown away that a permit would even be needed for this simple job.
It's not structural, not going to raise the property value enough to matter to them.
Are you in the soviet republic of CA where they want permits for everything just to get your money?
Why would you need to remove them for them to inspect? Inspect what?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Agreed 100% nickel and diming me at this point. Northern Illinois. Crooked county
Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #10
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'm blown away that a permit would even be needed for this simple job.
It's not structural, not going to raise the property value enough to matter to them.
Are you in the soviet republic of CA where they want permits for everything just to get your money?
Why would you need to remove them for them to inspect? Inspect what?
Exactly, I'm sure they wouldn't even come out to look anyway.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman711 View Post
Agreed 100% nickel and diming me at this point. Northern Illinois. Crooked county
In Lake county myself.. like I said I wouldn't sweat it...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

The permit is for the owners protection from themselves when you really think about it.

I had a 6'+ sliding door replaced by Renewal by Andersen. They arrived just after the permit office opened and stripped out the old slider and replaced the old slider with a custom sized unit (had to match original per HOA). By 11:00 AM, the old slider was taken out (disposed of) and the inspector was called to approve. The strange thing is that the installers went into the house and stuck up some smoke detectors at various locations. When the inspector arrived, he looked at the door installation for a minute or two and then went into the house for about 5 minutes to check if there were adequate smoke detectors in all critical areas.

It turns out that most of the municipalities require smoke detectors because of the number of problems/fatalities arising from homes without detectors and requiring the installation of smoke detectors in all new permitted improvements, no matter what trade is doing the work. - Sort of a common safety net. There was no charge for the detectors since all contractors are aware of the requirement (they only cost the contractor less than $10 each).

Our suburb has a very high number of 2,3 and 4 unit condos/townhouses, so protection from your neighbors is important and a blanket requirement makes sense.

I could have installed the big slider myself and have taken a $800 two day class on window/door installation because of my need to be certified since windows and moisture problems are so common. Most of the guys in my class of 30 were carpenters or contractors that were required to take the class for insurance requirements and premium discounts.

Dick
Bud9051 likes this.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 26

One more thought here. Besides the smoke, or maybe carbon monoxide detector, issue is the possible requirement that the new sleeping room windows would have to meet the current code egress window requirements.
Bud9051 likes this.
IdahoBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,054

If it was in Florida, the building dept will try to go after both homeowner and whoever did the work. They might not fine the homeowner, but will want their permit/inspection fees. The windows will also have to meet current codes and if not, you will have to buy whatever is needed. In Florida, they can go after a current homeowner for unpermitted work done by a past homeowner. In Florida a lot stuff requires permits. In one county, drywall work requires a permit.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,802

Permits for "replacement" windows is only a tax. Make no mistake about it.
Clutchcargo and Msradell like this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement