Replace Screw Driven Garage Door Opener? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Replace Screw driven Garage door opener?

How DIY friendly would this project be? I've heard horror stories of people getting hurt replacing garage doors and openers (spring took out a guys eye, another had the opener collapse onto their car).

Its a screw driven model that is there already so I am assuming I have to replace it with one of the same type of drive? Or is the drive system independent of the garage door itself?

Lowes offers something like a $97 installation service, which would be totally worth it to have it done right if I can get the opener for the right price. The higher quality screw driven models are expensive and the cheaper screw driven models Lowes sells have terrible reviews.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated!

Oh, the reason we are replacing the current one is that
1. its really old.
2. So old it doesn't even have hookups for sensors.
3. The house didn't come with a remote.
4. the AutoReverse is spotty at best (sometimes it reverses when its blocked, sometimes it doesn't).
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Door openers are a fine do it you self project---however,if you can really get it done for $100 ,then think seriously about paying for the service.

There is going to be a lot of time spent reading the directions--and a fair few tools needed---
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 710

Replacing just the opener is easily DIY. That doesn't mean it's easy DIY.
I have installed one, and would do it again. Because I like to do things myself.
I guess the question may be:
a. How long does it take you to make $100?
b. How much satisfaction would you get, doing it yourself?
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

How about the drive mechanism? It is difficult to switch from screw to belt?

The lowes website says $97 for "most" "basic" installations. If I buy it from them I am definitely having them do it I think.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

The old machine is remover and junked--the new one has all of the parts and goes in easily with little more than a drill and a few wrenches--

The worst part is figuring out the assembly instructions---the first one will take you several hours--

If you had a second one to do the same day--30 minutes!!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,476

I have installed two, and its pretty simple actually. ( Both chain drive, but I don't think that matters ). You should not have to mess with the springs --- you are replacing the opener, not the door. Indeed, messing with door springs is something that DIYers should think twice about.

You might want to double check a few things to see if you do have a simple installation:
1) can you unhook the opener and check that the door moves readily and is properly counterbalanced.
2) the new opener will come with a power cord about 6 feet long. You got someplace to plug it into.
3) the opener will mount probably with a couple of straps on the drive end, and bolt to the front of the garage on the front end. You got any funky beams or trusses in your garage that is going to make that difficult ? Maybe you can find a display, or the installation instructions to see exactly how the one you are considering, will mount.
Its very possible the new opener will mount exactly like the old one, but you said your opener was old, so I don't want to take anything for granted.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-31-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via ICQ to kkEspana

I appreciated

I'm new here , nice thread!
kkEspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,514

Knot,
I install doors and openers for a living. Check with a local garage door company for your opener install. Most of the time I can provide a better quality opener for the same price the the box stores want for a lesser unit plus installation. The units the come from the garage companies have a one piece track instead of 3 or 4 pieces joined with spline connectors. There is not as much assembly compared to the box store units. I would recommend a liftmaster belt drive. They are quiet and do a nice job.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement