Repair Or Replace? Small Rust Spot On BathTub - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Repair or Replace? Small Rust Spot on BathTub

Hey All -

So looking for some advice, I've called a few pros and sight unseen they simply suggest replacing the tub and of course that results in some tile work. In my case, all the tile would also need to be redone to get the tub out. None suggested or seemed receptive to any repair options. Is that because they don't exist?

The home was built in 1999, it must be some sort of porcelain over steel I suppose.

Here's the spot in question, any ideas on how to best handle? I want to keep the rust from spreading and getting worse if possible....

Thanks

Damaged Spot:

https://imgur.com/C6yQIIL

Overall Tub:
https://imgur.com/T9vbhz4
mark1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 772

Re: Repair or Replace? Small Rust Spot on BathTub

They make a simple porceline type enamel at any hardware store...expressly for your chip...even in different colors.

(The drywallers dropped a hammer or something on my son's new tub...the paint worked fine for 5 years so far.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
They make a simple porceline type enamel at any hardware store...expressly for your chip...even in different colors.

(The drywallers dropped a hammer or something on my son's new tub...the paint worked fine for 5 years so far.

Thanks so much for the reply.... sounds like its a good long term fix. I'll check out my local Lowes or HD.
mark1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 554

I have a small rust spot at the drain cover and searching around to see if there's something better than glorified nail polish at the box stores. Rust always came through after while. I have not used the attached material. I just found it from amazon. Fairly good number of reviews. I plan to try this, but it is something I never used before. At your own risk. I'm renovating my home and want to keep the old cast iron good finish tub, so am thinking it is worth the cost, but waiting until I'm ready to replace the drain parts. Then I can apply the coating throughout that part. If I coat just around the existing metal drain, rust under it will come back.
Attached Thumbnails
Repair or Replace?  Small Rust Spot on BathTub-1.jpg  
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,340

I agree with the repair. Remember your tub must be drawn out of its opening and stood on its end to remove it from the room. Is that a possibility? Most likely not. Damage to the tile will render the wall unusable, as tile matching will be very difficult if not impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement