ReDesign Of A Kitchen - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 06-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 53

ReDesign of a Kitchen

So this is a pretty general question. And I’m not even certain how I want to word it. It’s kind of a broad question and I’m sure there are many answers (along with different options involved as well)

I’m basically taking the kitchen in my home, gutting it, and relocating everything from the sink, stove, windows, doors, cabinets, you name it. The house was built in 1954, simple style home in California, the original concept was horrendous to say the least. I have a reality great visual concept going, along with functionally and layout. My concern comes down to the nitty gritty measurements with planning the exact placement for an exterior entry door and maybe a window or two.

Do architects design these items around the interior design? (Placement of cabinets / or specifics of cabinets). Or can cabinets be designed/ fitted to accommodate the actual interior measurements?

In other words, I don’t want to screw myself by placing a exterior door where I’d prefer it, and within ‘these measurements’, and not be able to fit a certain number of cabinets in it from one corner of the wall to the door. I’m assuming there are numerous variations of cabinets and sizes along with filler pieces that can work together to complete the design.
altc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,144

Re: ReDesign of a Kitchen

The answer depends and how much you want to spend on the project. If price basically is no object and you are going with custom-built cabinets it doesn't matter all. If you plan on using prebuilt cabinets they come in incremental sizes that you need to conform to to keep the cost reasonable.

All of the big box stores have a kitchen design department which they were to cabinet layout for you for free. Might be a good place to start.
3onthetree likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,252

All of it should be designed together, even if not constructed at the same time. Things like a window over a sink, backsplash windows, sidelites around a hood, etc. all need the kitchen layout designed. Even if custom cabinetry is desired, standard dimensions should be utilized for most typical homes. Doors probably have a natural placement based on circulation and wall intersections. Generalities exist, but every project is different.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
dj3

Rewards Points: 1,530

First stop talk to an architect. Let him see what you have and recommend.
dj3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement