Raising Two Story Room To Replace Rotted Sill Beam - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Best way to raise wall
Poll Options
Best way to raise wall

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thollin

Old 08-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Wink

Raising two story room to replace rotted sill beam

1896 Victorian Home. New addition of the two story section in early 1900's. Foundation consists of rock pillars at the corners and concrete footing in between pillars. Unfortunately, soil was backfilled too high against the three exterior walls allowing water and termite damage to sill beam, many studs and floor joists. Trying to determine jacking method for sill replacement. The initial problem is that the floor and ceiling joists were placed parallel to the long wall (17' long dimension wall) which would be the preferred wall to raise rather than the two shorter side walls (12' each in length). The ceiling is plastered with lathing support that is run perpendicular to the ceiling joists. What method would work best to raise the longer back wall with the room above?
Thollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,614

Re: Raising two story room to replace rotted sill beam

So it had piers at the corner and concrete in between. Was there a beam between piers or was the weight going to the concrete.
Has everything sagged evenly like a slope or?
Does the 17 ft wall have a gable over it?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,894

A picture here would help. Raising a structure from 1900 is going to be tough

Are you planning on elevating it above its original position or just trying to get it back there?

We need to understand how this addition is connected to the original structure, thus the pictures.

If you have a local company that raises/moves homes you might ask them for a quote to raise and secure it to give you time for the repair. Then lower it back to the foundation.

Check your local building department for permits required, they may also have good advice.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #4

Thank you Bud. I worked on the project for better part of the day. Taking out old flooring and sub flooring next to sill plate on 17' back section of room. Dug three footing holes across this area and mixed sack of Sakrete in each. Placed each hole next to existing sill foundation. Plan to use these footings for support of a temporary wall to be built alongside the existing back wall. I'm hoping to be able to raise the back wall just enough to slide in a sill beam from the outside. Found through the demo process today that the existing but rotten sill plate consists of several different approaches across the 17' span; the corner posts and some studs sit directly either on the corner piers or on the concrete in-filled foundation, while there is a wood sill plate of 2 x across a portion of the concrete foundation, and a larger 6 or 8x beam across the middle portion.
I will add some pictures I've taken as soon as I figure out how to do it.
We're pretty far out in the country so not sure what house raising capabilities are near. Closest structural engineer office about an hour a way. I've done quite a bit of construction type projects but none quite this large. I'm confident however that with some words of wisdom from folks such as yourself I'll be able to do the job.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,894

I saved this link on inserting pictures, see if it helps.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f114/how-...-posts-205921/
Yes, helping on the forum is a challenge most of the time, we are blind and have no idea as to the posters capabilities or even what country they are in sometimes so we have to gather our information piece by piece.

I have only jacked up a few sections of buildings but I have learned that they are heavy and you certainly don't want to underestimate that. Be careful, pictures when you can.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #6

Good instruction Bud for uploading images. Your words of caution are well regarded. Lifting this much mass and weight is a concern.
I'm playing the process over in my mind continuously. I'm big on doing detailed drawings and diagrams to help me think through the detailed steps. One of my biggest concerns as I contemplate raising the walls has two related parts: 1. Whether I should add exterior shoring to the exterior walls? 2. Whether I should add interior safety walls along each side of the room interior as well as the one planned for the back wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Raising two story room to replace rotted sill beam-img_1449.jpg   Raising two story room to replace rotted sill beam-img_1455.jpg  
Old 08-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Decided against raising the two storied room. Replaced sill beam and plate in sections. Used existing rock piers and partial concrete footing to support the 6"x6" sill beam with a 2"x6" sill plate on top. Both PT. Used a safety wall constructed inside room braced against the ceiling.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bracing up ceiling , jacking ceiling , replace sill beam