Radon Mitigation Questions - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 84

Radon Mitigation questions

My house was built in 1978. It has a full basement--a main floor--and a top floor. Please see pictures.

I have been monitoring the radon level ever since 2004. The level seems to be around 4 in the summer time but higher in the cold months--right now it is about 8 to 10 (the house is most always closed up--A/C in the summer and propane ventless heaters in the winter)

I am using a Corentium Digital Radon Detector at the present time.

My questions are:

1-Does a open flame ventless propane heater cause the reading to go up?

2-If I decide to install a mitigation system can I excavate from the outside either under or through the footing/foundation?

3-In one of the videos that I watched on YouTube they showed a hole being drilled into the basement floor (I have a full basement). They then showed a perforated plastic drain pipe under the floor that they indicated went all the way around the inside area of the floor. What if my house does not have that drain pipe? Would I just hollow out that area somewhat, where the hole was drilled in the floor? Would that be sufficient to remove the Radon gas from under the house? I assume that the house only has gravel under the concrete (BTW the house was built in 1978 and the concrete floor in the basement does not have any cracks anywhere).
Attached Thumbnails
Radon Mitigation questions-lower-elevation-labeled.jpg   Radon Mitigation questions-huse-labeled.jpg  
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 877

I did a system in my old recently sold house about ten years after I built it and ten years before selling. A start to finish diy project. The advice I was given was to drill the 4 inch hole thru unfinished basement floor then create a under slab hole by removing a five gallon bucket full of gravel and dirt. I then used a modified toilet flange and installed a well sealed pipe into hole. I ran this pipe to outside to pump then up exterior wall thru soffit and roof. There were no other special piping under slab and slab was sitting on four inches of gravel above the dirt.
I saw my radon level drop from 4 to 0.4 I rechecked this twice later and it never got above 0.6 . Total cost was around $300.
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 84

Re: Radon Mitigation questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
I did a system in my old recently sold house about ten years after I built it and ten years before selling. A start to finish diy project. The advice I was given was to drill the 4 inch hole thru unfinished basement floor then create a under slab hole by removing a five gallon bucket full of gravel and dirt. I then used a modified toilet flange and installed a well sealed pipe into hole. I ran this pipe to outside to pump then up exterior wall thru soffit and roof. There were no other special piping under slab and slab was sitting on four inches of gravel above the dirt.
I saw my radon level drop from 4 to 0.4 I rechecked this twice later and it never got above 0.6 . Total cost was around $300.
Thanks for your reply. I am wondering were the best spot would be to drill the 4" hole? My basement has two walls that are at ground level and two walls that are 5 feet below ground level. The one corner in the basement has sewer pipes that run under the slab so I guess that I should stay away from them.

About eleven years ago I painted the entire basement floor with Rustoleum garage floor two part epoxy--that seemed to lower the reading somewhat.
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 877

The hole I drilled was near center in one direction but only about 5 feet from edge in other. My new house is going to be much easier to install a system. I placed a French drain pipe all around the slab perimeter with pipe going into attic. Plus I used a expansion joint around edge of slab with a pull off upper 1/2 inch. After pouring slab I pulled off this portion and sealed all around with silicone. My slab vapor barrier was also an industrial quality 15 mil plastic versus the 6 mil stuff. You can see my entire project from footer up on the project showcase portion of this site under "partial earth sheltered home"

Last edited by ddsrph; 11-27-2017 at 08:27 AM.
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement