DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about convrete driveway

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cobracdn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. We moved into our newly remodeled home just over 2 years ago. For some odd reason, the person that remodeled the house had the driveway poured sloping toward the house. Now we all know where the water is going. The driveway meets up with the foundation and he put small bricks on top of the driveway right next to the foundation. We also have 2 metal window wells for the basement windows that the driveway was poured around.

The question I have is this. Is there anything out there that we can use to seal around the window wells and where the driveway meets the foundation? Something that will expand and contract with the changing weather in Michigan?

Also, since the water likes to pool near the house on the driveway. What would be the best way to evacuate the water away from the house? It's a long stretch from there to either the front or back yards and on the other side of the driveway is the neighbor's yard.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You should redo it all so that water drains away from the house. But you may consider cutting in a drain trench. There are systems for this with a 4" snap together trough and grate for the top side. Slope is built in. Just run the water to daylight at least 15 feet from the house.

#5 ·
How would I even go about doing that so it would drain efficiently? That whole span between the window wells will pretty much need to be drained. Would I have to run the drain lengthwise between the window wells and then T or L in another one sloping away from the house? As you can see in the pictures, all I have is the width of the driveway to work with for draining.

Then I still have to get something to seal around the window wells and between the foundation and driveway.

#8 · (Edited)
Laser.....no need to go crazy with a saw. You'll have to search it for your area, but they can lift slabs with some kind of high pressure concrete. Cut a couple holes and pump the concrete in and it lifts the slab. Slabs seem to be in pretty good shape. I think its better to cure the problem than to throw a band aid at it. Let us know how you make out. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.