Proper Way To Insulate And Stucco A Wood Siding House?? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Proper way to Insulate and stucco a wood siding house??

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of preparing to remove the original wood siding and install 3/4" plywood, foam insulation and finally stucco. Can someone fill me in on the proper order of installation of plywood, foam, house warp, ect?? I will be getting everything ready for the professionals to apply the finish stucco coat. Just a heads up, I am very compedent with renovations and am prepared to do this properly to survive the Canadian(ontario) winters for many years. Just need someone to guide me? Thanks to everyone ahead of timew for any help. Fern
clone477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone477 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of preparing to remove the original wood siding and install 3/4" plywood, foam insulation and finally stucco. Can someone fill me in on the proper order of installation of plywood, foam, house warp, ect?? I will be getting everything ready for the professionals to apply the finish stucco coat. Just a heads up, I am very compedent with renovations and am prepared to do this properly to survive the Canadian(ontario) winters for many years. Just need someone to guide me? Thanks to everyone ahead of timew for any help. Fern
If I was the professional doing the job, I would be informing you how to prep the house, not relying on internet advice.
Well actually, I wouldn't be asking your advice at all. And since I'm doing the job and would be responsible for the outcome, you wouldn't touch anything.
When I first started out in the '70's I did a few, "cooperative" jobs where the homeowner would "help" to save money.
I don't do that anymore.
And since you don't know anything about the job you're about to do, either should you. Because if the job has issues down the road, the professional will say it was your fault, whether it was or not.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would most definitely contact the stucco guy first before you start playing around with his substrate, because you may not like the warranty he has for you if you get your hands dirty in 'his' job.

And down the road, a warranty is what may have the most value to you, should something go wrong - as many things can in stucco jobs.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the answers guys. But, I just wish I could get some DIY information on a DIY forum. I have had the house completely stripped down to studs including the ceiling, have pulled all my own permits for building which include a 200amp panel upgrade, complete wiring and 18' supporting wall removals which have all been passed, so as far as warranty goes there is no warranty on this house project, I am the warranty. I mention all this not to tout my own horn but to show I am capable and was looking for advice from someone with experience. I appreciate the concern but I was just hoping to get a heads up before I for the finishing of the stucco. Thanks Fern
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone477 View Post
Thanks for the answers guys. But, I just wish I could get some DIY information on a DIY forum. I have had the house completely stripped down to studs including the ceiling, have pulled all my own permits for building which include a 200amp panel upgrade, complete wiring and 18' supporting wall removals which have all been passed, so as far as warranty goes there is no warranty on this house project, I am the warranty. I mention all this not to tout my own horn but to show I am capable and was looking for advice from someone with experience. I appreciate the concern but I was just hoping to get a heads up before I for the finishing of the stucco. Thanks Fern
The advice was to speak to the guy doing the stucco, what he needs you to do so he can do his job.
Is there any reason you're not doing that?
You are aware that they're are different stucco systems and the prep work differs from one to the other. So there is no universal response.
But you didnt mention the one you'll be using.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 01-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #6

Understood Ron, I will find and ask him personally. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement