Old Roof, Looks Bad But No Leaks. Change Or Leave As Is? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By Johnny_inFL
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 2 Post By SPS-1

Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 148

Old roof, looks bad but no leaks. Change or leave as is?

I have a shingle roof (2 layers plus wood shack under) roofers quoted me 10k to replace the wood shack itís plywood and replace the shingles with architectural shingles. Should I do this? There are no leaks right now (at least not that I know of)

Is 10k a good price for a 45í long by 25í wise 2 story steep slope house? About 1600sqft of roof.
nj2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,251

Re: Old roof, looks bad but no leaks. Change or leave as is?

So you're looking to remove the shingles and wood sheathing? I don't know what shack is so I'm assuming you mean sheathing.

Prices vary by location so the best you can do it get multiple quotes.

If the sheathing is good, there's no reason to replace it.

For comparison, in my area, construction costs are on the low side. We had a hail storm come through and I had to replace two roofs recently. One was 100 squares (10,000 sq ft) and the cost to remove and replace the shingles was $34K (Very steep and included copper dormers). The other was 33 squares (3,300 sq ft) and it was $7.5K (Not steep and asphalt shingles only).

My FIL got quotes to remove and replace 1,600 square feet of asphalt shingles on his beach house that varied from $15K to $18K. The same job inland would have been $4K max. I did it for him myself for material cost only which was under $1,500 for Lifetime architectural shingles nailed in a 6 nail, high wind pattern.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,784

Since the roof isn't currently leaking you have time, not so much to put it off but to make good decisions on who and what to use. It's always better to be proactive! You always want multiple estimates.
dd57chevy likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,268

the "2 story steep slope" is what dictates the high price.
in the Southern States, that same size for a one story and low slope is $7k.
get several written estimates and you will have an educated idea
of what you are going to spend in the future so you can budget for it.

dd57chevy likes this.
Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 82

As everyone has said be proactive and get several quotes. Be sure to compare the amount of work and quality of shingles from each company. Also check out the work these companies do.Since your roof is not leaking yet you have some time. Once it starts to leak, you may be tempted to grab the first cheap guy that can start immediately. In that case you often get less than what you paid for.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,569

We need to clarify your terms. Wood shake shingles are possible as the first layer. Those actually look like this https://www.google.com/search?q=wood...nt=firefox-b-1 or in bundle form they look like the HomeDepot link.

Now if you really have those as a first layer taking them off and installing plywood or OSB makes perfect sense.

OTH, if your bottom layer is plywood sheathing it only need be removed if it has delaminated or otherwise has damage.

My roofer quotes a price for the removal, shingles, Rhino-Shield underlayment and everything it takes to install plus a per sheet charge for any sheathing that needs replacing since you often don't know for sure what you are going to find unsder 2 layers.

Prices are a local thing and only local estimates can indicate what is fair in your area. For my part of the country 10K sounds a bit high but in in NJ it might be a very fair price.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #7

Yes thatís what I have as the first layer. Wood shake. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 540

I'm in NJ also and I think your estimate is low. Low is not always good. Dumpster alone would be about $500 (10 yd). Although the materials may not cost as much but we are in very high labor area. As noted, you should get min 3 estimates and do the research for which company has been around with fairly good reputation.
I used homedepot roofer. Quote, I think, was high. About $4000 for about 800 square feet roof. 7:12 pitch. 1 layer shingles removed and architectural shingles. Roofers will not install 3' gutter guards, even when I said I will supply them. They would use the plastic roll guards. I forgot to include this in the contract. Nobody was wearing harness. But if there is anything wrong, you have homedepot to go to, whereas a private contractor can be questionable. Ask for liability insurance copy and call the insurance company to check for coverage. I didn't do this because it was homedepot.

One ply had to be changed. The roofer wanted to use 1/2" ply they had but the roof was 5/8 and I insisted. They did not like the extra work but complied. I also had to have bit of tug war about specifying the chimney flashing. The job arranger (outside of the roofer) resisted for days. Even after this, the roofers cut the chimney bricks for skirt flashing, not through the joints.
You should at least study how the roofing is done to make sure the job is done correctly. Every step needs to be on the contract. If not sure, you could post the contract here and ask. Not the scan. Organize and type the steps in the post. Photo of your roof.
nj2012 likes this.

Last edited by carpdad; 08-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
nj2012 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 9,394

Right now, you have time to get multiple quotes, compare, and select the one that provides the best balance of cost and quality for you.

If you wait until you see stains on your ceiling, you will be selecting the roofer based on who can start the job right away (which is not the best way to select a contractor --- a contractor that has little work is not a good sign). Plus you will have a ceiling to fix.
nj2012 and dd57chevy like this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
nj2012 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #10

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement