New Home, Dog Smell Removal - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Home, Dog Smell Removal

On Tuesday I will have a new home that has previously housed a dog. I am looking for the best way to remove the dog odor.

The bottom floor is hardwood and tile. The upstairs and stairs themselves are carpet. I already plan to remove the old and get new carpet, but what other steps can I take to remove the odor? I should also add that I do not like chemical options as much as natural methods. The dog supposedly did not roam the house often, we know that the cage was kept in the kitchen and it is clear that the rest of the house was relatively free of dog hair.

Not sure if it is relevant but the house is ~1400 sq ft split probably right down the middle between upstairs and down. Also I did try to search but "dog" wasn't a permitted search because it was too short and "dog smell" brought up everything under the sun that had "smell" in it, I couldn't figure out how to search the whole phrase, apologies if this is a common thread. Thanks!
bracohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,662

Sounds like you're on the right track. Any deodorizing product would help. Just make sure you use the right product for the type of floor; Carpet, tile, hardwood, etc.

We use to have pets and had a similar problem. We removed the carpet, cleaned & waxed floors (all hardwood/tile, no more carpet), and had all the interior walls painted. Smell went away. Additionally, you could change the filter on your hvac system and buy a hepa filter room/air sanitizer.

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.

Last edited by jmon; 02-07-2015 at 08:55 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,547

Add quotes to your search such as "dog smell" or "removing dog smell".

There are commercial urine removal products. Plain old 5% white distilled vinegar works as well. Urine stains on walls and baseboards can be sealed with BIN a form or paint. A heavy general cleaning and new air filters in the HVAC of does a lot. Add an air freshener to the filter for extra effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 302

As a painter who often repaints apartments that have had dogs, after the carpet is removed, I do what Colbyt said, I paint the floors with KILZ or Zinsser's B-I-N to lock in any odors. Then you can install new carpet, laminate, etc. The KILZ is the much cheaper of the two and is just as effective as the B-I-N.
Startingover (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,236

If the smell really bothers you SW has a paint that absorbs odors It's Harmony, I think, I have never used it but others say it works really well.
Startingover (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,828

Try replacing word 'smell' with word 'odor' when googling.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Startingover For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 149

We had funny smells in our house too when we bought it. In a small house with central ac and heat, the smells travel fast from room to room. Getting rid of carpets got rid of 90% of the smell. After just regular painting, cleaning of air ducts and replacing the air filter we no longer smell it, or maybe it's just been replaced by our smells...

Make sure to pull out the fridge and stove when you're cleaning. If the dog used to live in the kitchen there are probably some nice fur balls behind there.

Unless your problem is extreme I think you'll be fine once the carpets are gone and your house is cleaned and painted.
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LVDIY For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-08-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

if the house will be empty you could run an ozone generator. Sounds like it is dog body odor and not urine.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDIY View Post
We had funny smells in our house too when we bought it. In a small house with central ac and heat, the smells travel fast from room to room. Getting rid of carpets got rid of 90% of the smell. After just regular painting, cleaning of air ducts and replacing the air filter we no longer smell it, or maybe it's just been replaced by our smells...

Make sure to pull out the fridge and stove when you're cleaning. If the dog used to live in the kitchen there are probably some nice fur balls behind there.

Unless your problem is extreme I think you'll be fine once the carpets are gone and your house is cleaned and painted.
How did you go about cleaning the ducts?

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Last edited by bracohen; 02-14-2015 at 05:50 PM.
bracohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 736

Get a puppy, you'll never notice the old dog smell!

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement