New Home Build And Materials - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jeric.danao11
  • 1 Post By BIG Johnson
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

New home build and materials

Hello, this is not in anyway a DIY post, but curious for those involved in any sort of construction/contracting/remodel etc.

My questions are as this being a first time build in a planned community, I've become very skeptical of the quality of work and products used, but am not sure if these are reasonable or nitpicking concerns:

contractors installed acrylic shower enclosure, the anchor point trim has been damaged

electrical wire from box to stove cooktop had splicing in it and was taped up rather than replaced

new large slider with dented framing

our builder is pretty approachable and direct about things, but being new to it all, I'm just curious others input or take on items such as these?

Thanks in advanced and looking to learn more on these forums!
Attached Thumbnails
New home build and materials-screen-shot-2017-04-13-3.54.57-am.jpg   New home build and materials-screen-shot-2017-04-11-10.50.25-am.png   New home build and materials-screen-shot-2017-04-11-11.01.33-am.jpg  
SamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,220

Re: New home build and materials

In my less than expert opinion......

#1...unacceptably too close to drywall/tub junction.

#2. whats under the tape?

#3 will that dent be visible when everything is finished?
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

thank you for the reply.

#1 - Thank you, they were kind of saying drywall will be covering it and shouldn't have a leak...but none of the other builds close by have any damage like this.
(provided a better not so spooky night shot

#2 - small split in the wire shielding, etc. (image attached)

#3 that I'm not sure, judging by some finished builds it looks like there is an additional frame that comes up once drywall is completed. its a large multi glass slider (12-foot) so its rather pricy upgrade and while if its purely cosmetic OK, but for that cost of it..yknow you'd rather get your full $$ worth.
Attached Thumbnails
New home build and materials-screen-shot-2017-04-13-10.53.01-am.jpg   New home build and materials-screen-shot-2017-04-13-10.52.47-am.jpg  
SamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,118

I'd be more concerned with what looks like screws with finish washer to attach the enclosure to the studs, may cause a hump, I use galv. roofing nails so it's a flat surface.
That top lip will be covered with sheetrock and caulked at the joint.
Something would be really wrong for water to cause an issue up that high.
As long as that cut in the wire is just the outside covering it's a none issue and can be taped.
That little "dent" as you call it in the window, as long as it's more of chip and the surface is flat, once again not an issue.
That whole area gets covered up with jamb extentions and gets caulked.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 310

Sam...

Generally, I think those issues are relatively minor and will not be a material/significant issue.... (no building is perfect)

BUT, I think you have a very reasonable and smart approach to watching the production building closely.... most people don't....

And you would be smart to professionally and nicely let the crews and builder know you are watching closely... and that you are reasonable... just like you are doing.

Walk the property(quietly inspecting) during working hours....

It's unfortunate, but some production building and different crews will take shortcuts and use less care ... when they can.

Good luck...
Old 04-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 272

I would ask for thorough inspection of the cable. That is a cut and inside wire insulation may have been damaged. Remove 6" sheath both ways from that cut. Take EACH wire and bend it and look for any splits. Then tape each wire around that cut, wrap all of it with sheath from left over then tape over the whole thing.
If the cut came from threading it, check the path for sharp nail, metal edge, etc. May want to check other cables as well. A hole in the metal track?

Last edited by carpdad; 04-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 898

That tub looks ok. The drywaller will butt drywall to the flange, not go over it so there won't be a hump. They will mud the gap with durabond. It should be high enough to not get wet very often.

The wire looks ok. Retape it if the insulation is intact.

Door looks like it will be covered when your trim carpenter fabricates the jamb. Hold a piece of 3/4" wood up to verify. If it doesn't fully cover the dent, take a hear gun and carefully warm up the plastic to bend/form it back.

Read this:

http://www.katherinesalant.com/columns/column014.html
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 14

That may be a reduce and inside wire insulation may had been damaged. remove 8 sheath each tactics from that lessen. Take every twine and bend it and look for any splits. Then tape each cord around that cut, wrap it all with sheath from left over then tape over everything.
jackchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6

You guys may not know this buy you guys have been so informative when it comes to DIY homesteading skills. I have been doing some research on such since I'm more of an interior designer rather than a home building one. But these inputs are just irresistible to look out for, so I'd like to thank this thread a lot.

Looking forward for more inputs from enthusiasts for beginners like me.
BIG Johnson likes this.

Last edited by beenthere; 05-15-2017 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Removed link
jeric.danao11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 50

In my opinion, I would be greatly concerned too. Though many others have commented that they are not a big issue, like the cut is only in the outer casing of the wire, the dent can be covered by something bigger like a storage cabinet and so on, but work is still work. Who wouldn't want works done on their house to be tip-top? Try talking to the builders since you mentioned they are approachable and voice your concerns while they are still there. After they are fully done, they might not even bother to replace or redo any of the flaws.
MarkSindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSindone View Post
In my opinion, I would be greatly concerned too. Though many others have commented that they are not a big issue, like the cut is only in the outer casing of the wire, the dent can be covered by something bigger like a storage cabinet and so on, but work is still work. Who wouldn't want works done on their house to be tip-top? Try talking to the builders since you mentioned they are approachable and voice your concerns while they are still there. After they are fully done, they might not even bother to replace or redo any of the flaws.

Not every builder has a tv show to foot a half million dollars to build a $250,000 market house.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #12

I just looked at the pictures again and noticed the tub is not a 1 piece, I'd have them replace that back section. It was probably delivered that way so the supplier should cover it. As long as the builder doesn't have to tear out framing to get it out the front door he shouldn't have a problem.

Those fiberglass tubs never make it through a build un damaged. You'll get a drywaller grinding a screw into the bottom with their foot, the electrician will drop a plier on the ledge or the plumber will scratch something while drilling holes. It's almost inevitable.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,652

It's ok to man up and admit it, the damm builder bought the damaged tub at a hellofah discount.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
It's ok to man up and admit it, the damm builder bought the damaged tub at a hellofah discount.
Maybe / Probably / Good Chance.......
Advertisement