New Ceiling - Paint Job Disaster - What Should I Do? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

New Ceiling - paint job disaster - what should I do?

we are renovating our kitchen. We had to get a new ceiling so we had it professionally installed. Everything went great! I have painted all kinds of ceiling without any problems...until now. I painted it first with a primer and then i took the advice from Home Depot and used the Behr ceiling paint. BIG MISTAKE! It was so thick to roll on that it made thick stippled areas on the ceiling. I used two coats.

So then I called Behr and asked them what I should do. There first advice was to just go and pick up another 2 gallons and they would pay for it! Well, no! THAT was what caused my problem. So then I went back to Home Depot and explained the problem with the paint. The manager told me that they had other complaints about that paint too (WTF!) so she suggested I use CIL flat paint to see if that would tone it down - it made it worse!

So I Behr back again and get a different person. He suggested that I use their 'other' Behr flat paint that can be used on the walls and ceiling. I asked if I should sand down the bad stippled areas. He said I shouldn't need to, it should hide them. I tried sanding them any ways. So I painted 2 more coats on the ceiling - it still looks terrible!

So my questions is - what can I do now?? I have since read that Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams both make dead flat ceiling paint. Can I add another paint brand to the ceiling? There seems to be a slight shine to the Behr paint that perhaps is emphasizing those stippled areas.

Any help is appreciated.

We have new cabinets being installed at the end of May. We have already gone over our budget too.

Melissa
Mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 125

One unless you have an exceptional Orange apron store. I never take painting advice from them. The 6 stores around us have paint dept employees that are one step above clerks. (They punch the color number into the computer and the correct base). That is about the limit. Probably with a brand new ceiling you should have used a a very smooth surface roller cover. Less than 3/8 nap. The stipple effect is there now and painting over it won't make it go away. Maybe a light sanding before repainting.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Thank. Yes, I know better now then to trust them for paint advice! I first used a 1/4 nap roller then the last coat I used a 3/8 nap roller. I thought perhaps a dead flat would hide it a bit more then it shows now. I did try sanding but not even sure what grade of sand paper to use? I tried medium and fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,602

Sanding sucks once a surface is painted. You can try a paint scraper, but that's a serious amount of work for a ceiling. You can also just skim coat the entire ceiling with all purpose compound and call it a day.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

So it won't matter how many paint layers I have on the ceiling then?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 538

Flat ceiling paint usually sands pretty well. It's probably going to take a little more than "light" sanding though from the sound of your situation. With so many coats on the ceiling now, you should have a good base to sand.

You could do it by hand but an easier more effective way would be to use a drywall sanding pole. This is one of the better ones;

http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/D...ding-Tool.html

There are cheaper ones, but be sure to get one that will not flip over as you use it like the old style ones do or you'll end up gouging the ceiling.

Use some 80-100 grit paper and stand on a step ladder to get a better angle. Sand it as vigorously as you can to smooth out that stipple.

If you end up doing it by hand, something like this would make it easier;

Using a short nap roller is fine, but be sure to dip it often often and apply a generous coat. I like 1/2 inch roller naps for ceilings. The amount of stipple left has about as much to do with your technique as it does nap size.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 18,232

That's what I'm thinking, far more to to do with how it was applyed.
Done a ton of Behur ceilings with flat ceilings paint, 1/2 nap roller never been an issue,
Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 416

If you dont want to drive yourself nuts sanding, use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hyde-Vac-...9170/100659753

I just painted a room that had ridges in the paint and I used the dustless dry wall sander with the screens for the prep. It took off any high spots and all the ridges. You can buy different grits of screen to get as aggressive as you want. Shaves it right down. Buy plenty of screens , they get clogged. When on side gets clogged, flip them over and use the other side
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds like you expected flat, perfect ceiling, and you may have a lighting that makes little imperfections stand out. Sanding will not produce smooth perfect surface, esp over fresh acrylic paint. You may even "rip" a patch off or start rolling the paint skin. But try a test patch and see what result you get. You don't have to paint over the patch to see. Shine a light from the side and see what marks you have. Drywall sanding screen can be aggressive and leave marks.
As advised, best surface would be skim coat.

Paints been getting thicker - one of those drip free paints. Sometimes it needs to be thinned with Flotrol or such.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,994

Wait til you find out the other paints won't adhere very well to the behr paint.
Flat paint and ceiling paint are not the same.

I never use any behr products...

https://www.google.com/search?q=laws...m=122&ie=UTF-8
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ron45 For This Useful Post:
RegeSullivan (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 114

I agree with others about skim coat. Get the ultra lightweight bucket, I think it's a light green lid.
Light sand.
Wipe all dust off with microfiber cloth. Get a good roller nap and paint again. If you don't like behr. I've used both SW ceiling and BM. I prefer the BM but if SW is having a sale it costs about 20/gallon compared to BM 30-35
cwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,236

Unless it's really, REALLY, rough I think skimming is somewhat over kill. I agree also with the 1/2" roller. That first one 1/4" was probably a lot of the problem and with that thick of a paint the 3/8" applied over it without sanding I can see how that would make it worse.

It is really going to need to sanded at least some no matter which way you go. But to skim a ceiling is a ton of work, especially if you haven't done it before.
Advertisement