NEST Smart Thermostat Connecting To A Humidistat To SUPPRESS Humidity - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

NEST smart thermostat connecting to a humidistat to SUPPRESS humidity

Leaving our condo in Fl for 3 months in Jersey.

Bought a smart thermostat so I have some ability to control environment in condo from NJ.

Discovered that the NEST I bought doesn't have a humidistat despite the not inexpensive price. So I need to go buy a humidistat and connect it to the NEST programmable thermostat.

My object in FL is to run the AC, while we are away, based on humidity....not temperature...... to keep the power usage down.

I am seeing a few DIY guides on how to hook up humidistats to NEST products, but they are all oriented to cold environment applications that are needing the HVAC system to bring .... on ..... a humidifier to increase humidity instead of my need which is to bring on the AC to lower humidity.

QUESTION -
I am understanding that a HUMIDISTAT will do the trick (either way-increase or decrease humidity), but I just wanted to ask you folks if you agree: the humidistat (when set for 58% humidity the generally acknowledged safe point recommended by Uni of FL given that mold starts at 68%) will independently bring the AC on even if I have the temp set pretty high(low to mid 80's for example)?
Rivertender101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement