Need To Post 1 Thread Before I Can Post Photos - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Need to post 1 thread before I can post photos

So apparently I have to make one post before I can post links to photos. I just signed up because I have a wall that has some pretty severe termite damage to the stud and would like to make sure I crossed the T's and dotted the I's. Hopefully, this will be under it or you'll see the link. Putting tags of home construction, diy, home renovation, home remodeling, termites.
AC DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 608

Re: Need to post 1 thread before I can post photos

Yup, you have to make your post to gain the ability to post pics. It's a common forum rule to prevent spammers and trolls from ruining things here.
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Sill won't let me post with links to photos. I don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

As you can see in the photos contained in the link below, I need some advice. Just like all home projects it started with a simple dream, I'd like to put in some new baseboards, shouldn't t be too hard... Removed the baseboards and found one corner of the wall that faces the outside backyard completely eaten away by termites around twenty years ago. So I drilled some small bottom holes into the drywall to expose the bottom of the stud to see if the stud was damaged. Well, it was. Researched and implemented a plan to fix and reinforce that corner. Then I decided to cut the bottom of the whole wall because I also found dirt-caked along the bottom of the wall. So when I did that I discovered all the main support beams that actually lead to the roof were badly damaged in the bottom front of 3 studs. The side of the stud appears to be fine and I suspect the damage at the bottom goes from a quarter to halfway int the stud. Let me say real quick, that before I removed the baseboards there were no noticeable issues with the wall from the outside that could suggest there was stud damage. The studs still appear to be fixed to the ground and they don't appear to be loose. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My game plan at the moment is to replace the bottoms of the main studs affected one at a time. I mean, to cut into one and remove the damaged portion and then insert a new piece of stud under the existing stud that is still in good shape and repeat. I'm not going to remove the cluster of studs at once and replace them at once, I don't think that is a good idea even if the two main sides seem to appear okay. FYI... there is one stud at each end of the wall that looks newer and appears to be unaffected and sturdy, it's just the main support beams that are grouped into three that have the main issues. The suds that are just supporting the window sill I'm not concerned about. I'll just put new stud next to it and then remove the old one, maybe put two for good measure. I haven't done a project like this before, but I've taught myself a good bit the last year and have acquired every necessary tool needed for general home repair and renovation. I've seen videos on youtube, but no one ACTUALLY shows them replacing the bottom of the stud. It just shows the before and after so I haven't seen any actual techniques of the process. I did the far right side and so far haven't had any issues, but I would like to get some advice before I did so. I have placed a link to a dozen photos that will hopefully be detailed enough to give a pretty good idea of the issue and the best solutions. I appreciate any helpful tips or suggestions. I would like to know if my plan is the best option, if I should attempt to do this myself, the risk factors or if I should replace the bottoms at all. One last thing, like I said this appears to be damage from 20 years ago when we got rid of termites so that's about how long the damage has been there. I don't know if that's a good sign that I haven't had any visible issues or if I'm due for an issue soon. I appreciate any helpful comments. This is my first post so hopefully, you can see the pictures.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Okay got it to work. Wondering if I should make a new thread. I also appreciate the last comment.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #6

I'll just start another thread. I think I get it now, lol. I'll put it under the title "termite damage to wall studs".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy , home construction , home remodeling , home renovation , termites.