Need Moulding To Stop Water From Spilling - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2015, 03:42 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,120

Need moulding to stop water from spilling

Hi;
Our kitchen counter is flat, with absolutely no moulding around the outside to prevent water from dripping from counter to floor. This is especially bad at the sink. Any amount of water that is splashed onto the counter in front of the sink (there is only about 3" counter between the sink and the edge) drips over the edge to the floor, and gets onto the person who is at the sink.

There should have been some sort of "berm" around the whole counter. Now I would like to add this. Something I can buy in a roll would be OK. I can use contact cement to attach it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't even know what to call such a product.
I don't care whether it matches the counter top or not. White is fine.

Thanks

FW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 04:26 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,348

I have never encountered such a material or a customer who had the problem. I would suggest less flamboyance with the dishwashing and maybe a towel draped over the counter in those areas you are having the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (07-03-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 04:32 PM  

Here is a photo of the countertop and sink.
Note that there is no slope to the countertop. It is perfectly flat.
Also, the water that splashed out of the sink is not coming from a faucet that is turned on too strong. It gets splashed out during normal process of washing dishes - especially large trays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 04:38 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I have never encountered such a material or a customer who had the problem. I would suggest less flamboyance with the dishwashing and maybe a towel draped over the counter in those areas you are having the issue.
The problem is when washing large trays (like baking trays and large casserole pans), the sink is too small, and the dish needs to be lifted and turned this way and that to get it clean.
This problem occurs when anyone washes dishes, so its not one person's technique.

I'm thinking of buying a roll of some sort of rubber or plastic moulding and gluing it to the edge of the countertop - to create a berm. I would also like to place such a berm on the left side of the sink, so that water doesn't run onto adjacent counter space.
I also think that some of the water comes off the dish drainer tray if the edge does not protrude over the sink lip. It gets pushed back sometimes. Another berm behind it might help - or a better drainer tray that might stay where you place it.

I think that the real problem is the sink's size - it's too small - and the countertop size - also too small - not enough counter space between the edge of the sink and the edge of the counter.

What about a rubber mat that would go around the sink, with a lip in front. Perhaps I can fabricate one from something else.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,042

Sounds like you just need a larger sink.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 04:51 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,348

The simplest and easiest thing would be a neat bead of clear caulk at the very edge of the counter.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,526

If an absorbing towel won't do the job the bath tub comes to mind or take the pots and pans to the car wash.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:02 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The simplest and easiest thing would be a neat bead of clear caulk at the very edge of the counter.
I can try that - my only concern is mildew. It might be difficult to clean the caulk. Maybe if I get the mildew resistant variety?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement