Need Help With Wall Stud Damage From Termites! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 2 Post By AC DIY
  • 1 Post By AC DIY

Old 12-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Need help with wall stud damage from termites!

Sorry for the shouting, but scientifically your eye should notice my thread first, that or piss you off. As you can see in the photos contained in the link below, I need some advice. Just like all home projects it started with a simple dream, I'd like to put in some new baseboards, shouldn't t be too hard... Removed the baseboards and found one corner of the wall that faces the outside backyard completely eaten away by termites around twenty years ago. So I drilled some small bottom holes into the drywall to expose the bottom of the stud to see if the stud was damaged. Well, it was. Researched and implemented a plan to fix and reinforce that corner. Then I decided to cut the bottom of the whole wall because I also found dirt-caked along the bottom of the wall. So when I did that I discovered all the main support beams that actually lead to the roof were badly damaged in the bottom front of 3 studs. The side of the stud appears to be fine and I suspect the damage at the bottom goes from a quarter to halfway int the stud. Let me say real quick, that before I removed the baseboards there were no noticeable issues with the wall from the outside that could suggest there was stud damage. The studs still appear to be fixed to the ground and they don't appear to be loose. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My game plan at the moment is to replace the bottoms of the main studs affected one at a time. I mean, to cut into one and remove the damaged portion and then insert a new piece of stud under the existing stud that is still in good shape and repeat. I'm not going to remove the cluster of studs at once and replace them at once, I don't think that is a good idea even if the two main sides seem to appear okay. FYI... there is one stud at each end of the wall that looks newer and appears to be unaffected and sturdy, it's just the main support beams that are grouped into three that have the main issues. The suds that are just supporting the window sill I'm not concerned about. I'll just put new stud next to it and then remove the old one, maybe put two for good measure. I haven't done a project like this before, but I've taught myself a good bit the last year and have acquired every necessary tool needed for general home repair and renovation. I've seen videos on youtube, but no one ACTUALLY shows them replacing the bottom of the stud. It just shows the before and after so I haven't seen any actual techniques of the process. I did the far right side and so far haven't had any issues, but I would like to get some advice before I did so. I have placed a link to a dozen photos that will hopefully be detailed enough to give a pretty good idea of the issue and the best solutions. I appreciate any helpful tips or suggestions. I would like to know if my plan is the best option, if I should attempt to do this myself, the risk factors or if I should replace the bottoms at all. One last thing, like I said this appears to be damage from 20 years ago when we got rid of termites so that's about how long the damage has been there. I don't know if that's a good sign that I haven't had any visible issues or if I'm due for an issue soon. I appreciate any helpful comments. So I learned today that I have to make a post first before I can make a post with a link to it. So the link is in the next post.
AC DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Re: Need help with wall stud damage from termites!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6dnPkmn...=1285td6aucuhx

Last edited by AC DIY; 12-24-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 234

Your replacements need to be 1 continuous stud.

If the studs are eaten, have you looked at the bottom plate, the floor joists, the rim joists, the flooring.

All of these are connected, and to get to the stud, the termites had to go through all the others.

I fear that you have bigger problems.

ED
joecaption likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Your replacements need to be 1 continuous stud.

If the studs are eaten, have you looked at the bottom plate, the floor joists, the rim joists, the flooring.

All of these are connected, and to get to the stud, the termites had to go through all the others.

I fear that you have bigger problems.

ED
Thanks for the info, Ed. So, I agree with you about all that, but the weird thing is the bottom plate is pretty much intact, there is only one 5" section that was eaten and that was in the worst-hit area. The rest of the area looks fine. I don't know if I put good pictures of the bottom plate in the link. If I didn't I will. It's the first story with concrete flooring so I don't have floor joists and they don't appear to go more than 12" up the wall so I'm thinking the rim joists are ok. It appears they came up from the outside of the corner of the backyard and cut into the corner. There are other single studs that appear to be okay that are different and newer looking wood, so I'm thinking someone may have already tried repairing it and just left the old studs in. But I don't know if they did an adequate job or not.
As far as replacing the whole stud that I'm trying to figure out. I've read and seen a lot of people just replace the bottom, but again I don't know if the circumstances are slightly different so I can't or they are just not doing it correctly.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

If you can properly joint the patch in, you might be able to do it that way.

But the proper way is to replace all the stud, it really needs to be strong, it is holding up your roof.

Just because someone on the internet does things crude, don't mean that you should.

To steal a phrase from my grandmother,

"If others are jumping off a cliff, are you going to also?"

Besides the work of "band-aid" this is more than replacing them one at a time.

ED
Old 12-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,916

#1, There's no location in your profile so it's hard to guess what type termites you may be dealing with.
#2, That bottom plate sure looks it has water damage as well as insect damage and should be replaced.
I'd like to see a picture of the outside of the house in that area, main reason is that's likely where the real issue is that causing this damage.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 868

Garage walls are load bearing so if you have much to do you have to support the roof while you do it.

The stud is holding the sheeting on the outside so if you can keep much of the old stud the sheeting does not loose structure,

You can replace a piece at the bottom and scab a patch on the side to hold the two pieces together. A full stud is better.

The bottom plate can be replaced in shorter pieces,

Lower the dirt on the outside.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #8

Thanks, guys! This is all great stuff to consider. I wish I had signed up for this before I started my odyssey of trying to figure out how renovate my dad's house after years of neglect and poor workmanship when someone was hired to fix something.

1. I'm in Dallas, Texas. From what I know now, the termites have been gone for like 15-20 years or so. I have a contract with a company that monitors all that stuff. Of course, they aren't responsible for previous damage so I'm going to have to take care of it myself. I agree with the picture of the closeup of the bottom plate, it is definitely going to be replaced but I don't think all of the wall bottom boards needs to be but maybe so. I'll post more photos in a minute.

2. Well, it's not part of a garage wall if that is what you are saying or if you are talking about something else. I'm also not sure if it is a load-bearing wall so yeah I read that is also a big thing to consider. I'll post more photos of the ceiling and room. It would be a big help if I could get help figuring out that question out.

3. Ed, completely agree with you about the internet peoples. Why I asked, lol. And to answer your grandmother's question. It all depends. How high is the cliff? Is there water below? Is there a proper water to height ratio? Are you tied to a bungee cord, have a parachute, or one of those cool flying suit things? And who is jumping off this cliff? Is it my parents? Cool people, I'm trying to impress? Is a hot girl involved? All things I think your grandmother failed to consider. Lol. So like Schrodinger's cat explained, the answer is both yes and no simultaneously. Of course, if your grandmother was like mine if I had responded with these questions I would have been smacked.
de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Yeah: when my grandmother got "SASS" , she would make two fists, and
say " This one is 6 months in the hospital, this one is 6 feet under, which do you want."

I always picked neither, and said " YES MAAM".

ED
Old 12-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #10

HAHA! That's great! Well, at least she gave you a choice. Sounds like a nice lady.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction , diy , home rennovation , home repair , termites