Nailing Roof Sheathing N Tiles - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Nailing Roof Sheathing n Tiles


A friend has asked me to come over to Sweden to fix/replace her roof. Normally in the UK using 4 x 8 boards the most you're going to do is nail every 8" but in Sweden they use 100mm x 20mm tongue and groove. I'm thinking as the planks interlock do I really need to put 2 nails in each plank per roof truss? That would be a lot of nails and work especially as they recommend 100mm nails which seems a bit long to me,( in the forest off grid so no nail guns). Plus all those nails might split the wood.

Going to use cement tiles which I've never worked with. How easy/difficult is it to bash the nails in right to the end without cracking the tile? The local chain DIY seems to only do untreated tongue and groove and untreated batons of the size recommended by the tile manufacturer.

Advice appreciated
petrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,623
Rewards Points: 18,384
Default


99 percent of the people on this site are in the US an have no clue when it come to metric measurements or how roofing is done over sea's.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Hi, Thanks for that- hadn't realized this was US forum. 100mm is about 4 inches 20 mm 3/4 inch
petrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 10,461
Rewards Points: 224
Default


The cement tile is not the waterproofing. You need a membrane on wood decking.
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2014 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,623
Rewards Points: 18,384
Default


Metric is so much easier and we should have changed over to it at least 30 years ago.
No phenumatic nail guns in that area?
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The cement tile is not the waterproofing. You need a membrane on wood decking.
I know, I have researched everything, read the manufacturer's requirements and watched loads of Youtube videos so much so that I can tell when someone is doing it the wrong way.

But I've not seen people nail cement tiles. I like to plan everything so there are no surprises or mistakes as this is a serious job
petrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Metric is so much easier and we should have changed over to it at least 30 years ago.
No phenumatic nail guns in that area?
Never having used one not sure how good they are

I will check and see if there is a hire shop. I thought about the battery/cartridge type but I can't take it on the flight out there or back so if I bought one there I'd have to leave it behind

Re metric, I think you do use metric in the engineering and science field as it's universal the world over. In the UK we use both as the general public are so used to feet and inches

Last edited by petrg; 11-17-2015 at 04:53 AM.
petrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
99 percent of the people on this site are in the US an have no clue when it come to metric measurements or how roofing is done over sea's.
Actually if Shumaker Scott is still active (have not been on his project thread for "German House Rebuild". He is the most knowledgeable expert in this area. Of course with all of the information and pictures he has posted. You do not even have to look no further. If anyone has been able to show people how to do things outside of the box. Scott is the best one that has shown us.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by petrg View Post
Never having used one not sure how good they are

I will check and see if there is a hire shop. I thought about the battery/cartridge type but I can't take it on the flight out there or back so if I bought one there I'd have to leave it behind

Re metric, I think you do use metric in the engineering and science field as it's universal the world over. In the UK we use both as the general public are so used to feet and inches
Here is everything you need to know about your original question. The guy that rebuilt the house has put his heart and soul into it. He is retired Army and decided to stay in Germany after he got out. It does take a bit of time to go through, since you get caught up in reading about the details of his home build. http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/germa...rebuild-23424/



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Here is everything you need to know about your original question. The guy that rebuilt the house has put his heart and soul into it. He is retired Army and decided to stay in Germany after he got out. It does take a bit of time to go through, since you get caught up in reading about the details of his home build. http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/germa...rebuild-23424/
Wow that's an awesome rebuild! I notice he didn't stagger the roof boards
petrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proper transition between shed roof and shingled roof? aribert Roofing/Siding 9 04-12-2012 04:17 PM
Tile Roof - To offset or not to offset tiles kowtow Roofing/Siding 3 12-07-2010 11:17 PM
Putting a new flat roof on a 3600 sf home Jean3 Off Topic 2 04-09-2010 01:35 AM
Placing roof sheathing vertically Clutchcargo Building & Construction 5 08-26-2007 11:21 PM
Roof sheathing overhang on fascia Clutchcargo Roofing/Siding 7 08-23-2007 02:02 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts