Ma Ma"s House Is A Mess - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By CrazyGuy
  • 1 Post By Richs66

Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Ma Ma"s house is a mess

Hey new guys hear, my mothers house has a few issues, looks like she needs some drain tiles replaced, steel beams are being put in on the basement walls, She has half basement half finished basement, the contractor wanted here to remove some ceiling tiles, that may or may not contain asbestos, she bought the house in 90, but the house was built in the 50"s.

Of course my mother has already removed some of the tiles, all the info I get on them are "Made in Sweden", looks like the were painted sometime , they are stapled in furring strips .

Since either one of us can afford an abatement company, I'm thinking of getting a half-mask, full mask, and wetting them down and triple bagging them...........any tips would be welcome.

The one tile in the pic is the worse damaged, probably from some water pipe leakage over time............when I removed a few tiles, nothing seems to break, other than where the staples were holding it in........

any tips on what to do here would be a big help.

Thanks

Rich

Attached Thumbnails
Ma Ma"s house is a mess-carlas-basement-1-.jpg   Ma Ma"s house is a mess-carlas-basement-4-.jpg   Ma Ma"s house is a mess-carlas-basement-5-.jpg   Ma Ma"s house is a mess-carlas-basement-6-.jpg  
Richs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #2

Re: Ma Ma"s house is a mess

Guess I need to learn how to spell................we cannot afford an abatement company.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,222

See what the older guys have to say as my experience is somewhat limited with the asbestos stuff, but to my knowledge they don't look like asbestos, looks like compressed chip board to me.

Either way I think people get overexcited about asbestos, its not like it kills you from handling it now and then. The issues were from prolonged exposure working with it.
dd57chevy and Nealtw like this.

Right Wing= too closed minded to ever learn & grow
Left Wing= so opened minded all brains fell out
CrazyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

Not asbestos. They came out maybe around the time of particle board. It is compressed material, doesn't take well to water.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,815

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGuy View Post
Either way I think people get overexcited about asbestos, its not like it kills you from handling it now and then. The issues were from prolonged exposure working with it.
And smoking. Smoking massively compounds the danger of asbestos. If you're a non-smoker doing a one-time project, I think it's pretty negligible.

And in that chart, "low" exposure is less than 10 years of chronic exposure!
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 264

2x on compressed paper. Panels containing asbestos would look and feel like dried up, crumbling sponge. Set up a fan in the window to suck out dust, no need to wet or triple bag. Mask is for all the dust and mouse droppings up there.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Wow, thanks guys, didn't think I would get this many responses, since I bought all the stuff, I'm gonna do it as if it were asbestos............just gonna take a little more time, no big deal.

Thanks for the help

Rich
jlhaslip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement