Lumber Needs In Los Angeles - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Lumber needs in Los Angeles

Anyone from the Los Angeles / SoCal area? I want to start a new project making some wooden cutting boards. The videos seem pretty easy and pretty fun. Not to mention how beautiful the boards would end up. Most videos use spare wood ppl have lying around. I don’t have any. But going through the cost analysis, it doesn’t seem cost effective for me to buy wood from a Home Depot or the like.

Where should I even start looking?
Chauchau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 378

Re: Lumber needs in Los Angeles

For what you describe this would probably be the place to start looking. You should be able to see what is available where in your area.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

There is no such thing as free shipping either~Wooleybooger
wooleybooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,700

You said "cutting boards" does that mean many as in you will want to be selling them?
Making any wood product to sell requires something unique to be able to compete with the cheap imports. Redwood is something they don't(as far as I know) have in China. Old wood can also be unique and in some cases the growth rings can be dated to give a unique aspect to your product.

Good luck
Bud
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,124

Quote:
Most videos use spare wood ppl have lying around. I don’t have any. But going through the cost analysis, it doesn’t seem cost effective for me to buy wood from a Home Depot or the like.
Ayuh,...... 2 things quickly come to mind, based on the fact that cuttin' boards are made of dense grained Hardwoods,......

#1, HD, 'n the like, don't carry Hardwoods, just buildin' grade softwoods,.....
#2, there's virtually No hardwoods on the west coast,.....

Unlike up here in the northeast, where hardwood trees grow like weeds,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,118

There's lots of walnut for sale in the Central Valley. They uproot old orchards. You could take a drive up to the area. The Internet has them, too, but more expensive.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,570

do high schools in your are still have wood shops? bet theres enough scraps to be had - also, try cabinet makers / shops....
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,020

Find the local furniture and cabinet shops and ask for their scraps.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 566

Facebook market has some exotic wood dealers. It also had pages dedicated to any type of wood working you want to do- you just need to join them.
Craigslist might have some suppliers.
You can try Google "exotic wood" I shop a couple internet sites and am quite pleased with their products

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,548

Quote:
Where should I even start looking?
Google Woodcraft and your zip code. That should bring up Woodcraft and other retailer. But be aware that Woodcraft and such retailers are in the business of selling tools and craft supplies more than actual wood.

Yes, such things as cutting boards are made from hardwood. Don't expect to find any hardwoods at Home Depot. In my area (Virginia) you may occasionally find someone cutting an Oak or Maple tree but then you have to have a chain saw to cut it up into something you can work with wood working tools.

You may occasionally find a piece of old furniture that has some real wood in it but you have to be able to recognize it.

I guess you could also Google hard wood retailers in your zip code.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,700

I always cringe when I see a load of full length logs headed down the highway, oak, Maple, and birch, all headed to end up as firewood. Old guy where I used to buy my firewood said he tried to sort out the really nice looking logs and set them aside. But near the end of the year someone always needed dryer wood without enough time to season it outside, so he would sell that pile.

Up here the lumber business is primarily softwood, pulp for paper or board wood. They actually spray the forest to kill off the hardwood.

Bud
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,382

Look for free wood on Craigslist.

I know there's someone in downtown LA who gets rid of lots of scrap wood, though I don't know what kind it is.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement