Loose Ceramic Tile Repair? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

loose ceramic tile repair?

Hey guys,

I've been having this issue for a while now, and it's gotten to the point I may want to do something about it. Basically, I have a single tile that keeps making a "clunking" sound every time I step on it, and over the months, I have noticed the grout around it loosening. none of the other tiles exhibit this "clunk", so i think it's just local to this one. I think that when the contractors placed this tile on, that the floor beneath it was not completely even, and so anytime you put pressure on the tile, it shifts. However, it does not "move", if that makes any sense. Maybe it just moves so minutely, that it affects the grout. Is there anyway to repair something like this easily, without having to tear apart all the tiles around it? what do you guys recommend. Please see below for the area that is affected. thanks.loose ceramic tile repair?-b1.jpg
ilumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,706

Re: loose ceramic tile repair?

Get out your grout saw and cut it loose.

Clean the floor and tile and apply the proper thickness of thinset to rebond the tile.

Re grout once fully cured.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,330

And then hope this is truly isolated to this tile and not an insufficient structure problem....
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,811

I think it might be tough to take the tile out without breaking it. And if you do get it out, it might be tough to clean the mortar off.

Drill some holes in the grout line surrounding the tile. Pump some stuff in there to fill the void. Hopefully you can find it. You can drill the middle of the tile too, but then the hole is harder to hide. There are some products made for this. You need something pretty thin to flow in there.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement