DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

License for hourly maintenance work?

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  downunder 
#1 ·
Just wondered if a license is usually required for general maintenance work where one is an hourly employee and work done only on employer's property. Sometimes a little plumbing, sometimes a little electrical, etc. Replacing burst pipes, irrigation systems, electrical receptacles and switches... Seems like I read one time that if you're getting paid for it vs homeowner that you need a license.

I know, call my local licensing office. Small town= get back to employer that I'm making waves=:eek:

Thanks,

#2 ·
Calling up and asking questions over the phone doesn't sound like a big deal. Even going there and asking questions doesn't require you to give your name, does it?
I don't understand the reluctance to gain knowledge of the licensing requirements of your area.
Ron

#3 ·
Around here a license is required if a contractor (not an employee) is coming on to someone else's property to do work. The maintenance guy for a commercial property or a homeowner do not need licenses to do their own work.

But, every place is different...

#4 ·
Even going there and asking questions doesn't require you to give your name, does it?
Don't have to, they already know me. Remember the part about "small town?"

KC
That's what I thought but seems like I remember hearing somewhere that if you did this for hire, i.e. got paid for it you needed a license. But that was just someone's version maybe.

If you are familiar with the new Erosion and Sedimentation Control laws- I'm working under "If it gets to be problem" compliance. Just wondering if I need to refuse to do some of this work and see how far I can get by with pushing things. I've been left holding the bag before and got locked up doing what the boss said. It never went anywhere and was dismissed and everybody went home happy. Well, almost everybody. I know, I can hear you thinking "well, if it's that big of a deal." It's not yet, but I just always like to look ahead when I can.

#5 ·
I can assure you that the EPA's sediment control laws are a BIG DEAL if the land disturbance is an acre or more. They are 100% serious about it, and EPA fines aren't like speeding tickets...They're crippling to all but the wealthiest companies. As for maintaining compliance with them, there aren't necessarily licenses required but very certain processes have to be installed regarding inspection, control measures, etc... The feds' law is what it is, but enforcement by the City will vary from place to place.

#7 · (Edited)
What kind of place do you work at.
The state of Ga allows unlicensed work to be perform as part of your everyday duites as long as it is only on property own by the employer. This does not include rental houses, but does apartments.
Anytime you disturb the earth, even for signs, you need to have your white dirt card.

http://www.sos.ga.gov/plb/

#8 ·
With all due respect "jbfan", I believe that a local government can require stricter rules/local laws and/or enforcement but cannot undermine State Laws here in Georgia, therefore: When I started my "Household Handyman" business four years ago I checked into whether or not I would need licensing and what type. Sure, they told me I should be licensed, and it would make things better all around. No problem with me. At that time they had no category to put me under so I was a "Trim Carpenter" just so they could lincense me. Under Georgia's new 2009 Licensing Program I am now a "Special Skills Contractor", who'd a thought that? Now, there are so many people laid off from work and doing Handyman type work that are not licensed in our area that the local Inspections Department has issued a warning they are cracking down on all types of contractors and have hired additional staff just to go out and check license's of people working. A friend of mine got caught the other week working on his new church. He is not licensed but the local authorities consider a church a "Commercial Business" and asked him to leave the site. He is a member of the church and was just doing little things around to get it ready for it's first Sunday service. Thanks, David

#9 · (Edited)
Thurman,
(FYI I'm in Carrollton- edit to address to jbfan). I need to check into that new licensing. I was doing what you are for a while a few years ago between jobs while driving a school bus for insurance. Last time I checked it was iffy doing that unless you had a plumber/electrical/etc journeyman license. Looking at retirement being availble soon, I might get back into that. Actually, I talked to a realtor friend a couple of years ago about doing some curb appeal work but I didn't have time when she needed it and she didn't need it when I did it. Know what I mean?

Folks, I did not say I got arrested because of this employer. I said it had happened in the past- at another job, in different circumstances. The point is, now I don't completely trust anyone- even if he signs my paycheck. The current boss does not care if he needs someone to drive a dump truck for a quick trip across town for a couple of loads of dirt or gravel or whatever. Even if they don't have a CDL. I do (have CDL), but... His opinion is that whatever is the easiest and the least hassle to him, and "unless it gets to be a problem" is a quote from him about six months ago. He's a super nice guy if you need a day off or a couple of hours to take care of something. He just has no backbone for doing things right- just whatever is least trouble for him. Frankly, current employer is a govt agency so he'll have his boss call someone else's boss...

Right now, the job description says "Laborer." Last fall, we were having trouble with a gas furnace. Actually that is on another thread. Two "mechanics" never got it fixed, so I took a VOM, ran the circuit, found the bad switch connection, and now it works. I've run new electrical circuits because I got tired of waiting for the "electrician" to do it. But I made sure that he came and looked at it so I could put it on him if there was a problem. I've also run new gas service lines. And new plumbing systems- as a laborer. So, I'm probably looking for a raise- not likely- or pulling retirement from here and looking for another job when things get better.

Why would you even think about working for this guy?
1. Insurance
2. Retirement. As of a couple of months ago, (early) it is available.:thumbup:

Thanks to all for you patience and advice.

#10 ·
A friend of mine got caught the other week working on his new church. He is not licensed but the local authorities consider a church a "Commercial Business" and asked him to leave the site. He is a member of the church and was just doing little things around to get it ready for it's first Sunday service.
I forgot to mention this on previous post. But maybe it was too long already! This is exactly what I am concerned with. Seems like being a member of that particular congregation would be the same as being an employee working on the employer's property as opposed to working for hire/contracting somewhere.

#11 ·
I re-read my post after "downunder" posted. IF it seems that I implied that I am State Licensed-I AM NOT. I have license issued in three (3) local counties. Dougherty County, where I reside, uses the new 2009 State of Georgia License categories for the Dougherty County License. I have looked into getting a State License for Electrican (class I) and Plumber (journeyman). The State of Georgia changed it's requirements on each of these this year also and I will have to prove "X" numbers of years in the field of each before they will let me take the test. My thirty-six (36) years in Industrial Maintenance and the diplomas and degrees do not count in this. I have talked with local officials about what I am allowed to do and stay within these guidelines. I have Licensed Electricians and Licensed Plumbers to fall back on who let me work with them when needed. Thanks, David

#12 ·
What I meant was, if you work for and industry, be maunfactoring, warehouse or such, to preform work inside that industry, and that building, you do not need a license.
If you work for a contractor that requires a license to operate as a contractor, you do not need a license.
As an electrical contractor, I am the only one required to have a license, even if I have 200 people doing electrical work for me.
If you work for a landlord that has rental houses, you are not allowed to do electrical, plumbing, or hvac work, unless it is an apartment complex with on duty maintenance.

#13 ·
This dialogue just keeps getting interesting! Who would've thunk? I really appreciate all the input, not only for me but for whoever else may read this in the future.:thumbsup:

IF it seems that I implied that I am State Licensed-I AM NOT. I have license issued in three (3) local counties.
Thats another point of interest. For those of us who are ignorant here, it gets confusing between state and local when someone says "licensed." At least to me.

My thirty-six (36) years in Industrial Maintenance and the diplomas and degrees do not count in this.
Just for interest, I was in public safety for a number of years and had been an EMT (paramedic) supplemental to other training. Law enforcement training has a program called "First Responder." Seems like a six month ambulance training program would not suffice for a 1 week training certification. I just happened to need that certificate to go with others as part of a larger program. They told me to get resume's from the instructors and they would submit it. Imagine asking several doctors for that to turn in for the adult equivalent of a Boy Scout first aid course. So, I just took the class. I needed a "vacation" from the office anyway.:laughing:

#15 ·
For 18$ and in 20 minutes my husband became a licensed automobile air-conditioning technician.

I'm a state licensed driving instructor in Oregon - it costs $200/year and takes around 120 hours of training.

Oh, and I'm license to practice law in the State of Oregon.

#16 ·
Not to just keep this thread going or to be a S.A., a friend and I were discussing the topic of this thread and he reminded me that under our county's new rules for 2009 I am not licensed anymore. I checked my "License" for '07 and '08 and they do indeed read "Business License", now the paper I have after paying my fees reads "Occupational Tax Fee Certificate". Just to be a S.A., the next three businesses I went into in my county I asked to see their "Business License", as they are supposed to be displayed, and sure enough they had the "Occupational Tax Fee Certificate". A phone call downtown and I learned that our county no longer issues a "License" to do business or trades. They rely on the State of Georgia to issue any License to an individual. I checked two of the other counties I hold current "Business License" in and they still do issue a Business License. No wonder everything around here is such a mess. Thanks, David

#17 ·
Here's a perfect example to end this thread with.

In my recent annual evaluation, I contacted our company's Human Resources Dept and asked if having a CDL license was included in my job description. I am the only one in our shop with that rating. Apparently it is not ("valid driver's license" is what is required), and I told my supervisor that I had contacted the main office and asked this question frankly looking for justification for a small raise considering the economy. "Having a job" is the philosophy for our raise this year.

We are involved at times with transporting several CDL rated vehicles because we are part of the "maintenance" division. So the answer was that since I had not objected to driving these vehicles I was the first choice from the perspective of utilizing each employee's attributes. No problem there. But, "If you aren't here, then we'll just take our chances and drive them probably illegally."

Thanks to all who have shared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.