LED Bulbs And Garage Door Openers - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjniles

Old 12-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

LED bulbs and Garage Door Openers

I searched but found nothing on this fix.

Put LED's in the opener, and the wife's car remote would not work when the opener lights were on. Searching around I found it was a known issue with some LED bulbs. Has to do with the DC circuit inside the base giving off a frequency that interferes with the remote signal. If the lights go off, no issue.

Instead of searching for bulbs that did not interfere, or buying the high priced specialty bulbs, I took what I had and wrapped the bulb base (the area between the thread and the light) with 3-4 layers of aluminum foil. The 100w lights I use has a plastic housing below the bulb area that has the DC circuit inside. That is what I wrapped with foil.

I tried it with both her cars built-in remote and the remote FOB. Could close the door from the outside drive with the lights on.

If your having issues, try some foil...............
tjl5709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,720

Re: LED bulbs and Garage Door Openers

Hi tj,
Had a similar bulb with the large base that was interfering with my tv reception. Swapped it with a newer $3 LED bulb and problem went away. I would suggest you try to find another bulb that works as opposed to the foil wrap which could result in a a heat issue with unknown consequences.

Not sure on your bulb but that area on mine is the heat sink and reflective foil tape would prevent heat dissipation.

For all reading I would advise not wrapping any part of any light bulb in foil tape.

Sorry tj but for safety i had to post my concerns.

But your input is another indication of the many LED issues we need to watch out for.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 388

Use an incandescent bulb?

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk
lenaitch likes this.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,728

Re trying different LED bulbs; I have read several take-apart articles on LED bulbs, and what I found interesting is the variety of designs out there. The AC-DC supplies in them put out from as low as 30V to as high as 300V, and the series/parallel connection of the individual LEDs are in a corresponding great variety. I'm going to assume also then that the AC-DC supplies probably run at a variety of switching frequencies.

They are also an interesting source of a compact AC-DC supply if that's what you need.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

That would be my 25 cent solution. It' not like they're on long enough to impact on energy consumption.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,010

led is not worth using in a garage opener. you can still get basic incandescents at a dollar store.

they also make halogen style incandecents which meet the modern efficiency standards.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 148

About a week ago I installed a new Extreme Garage Door Opener at a house I have been renovating. I put two 60 watt daylight LED's from Walmart in it and have had no problems yet. If it fails to work I will know where to look. Thanks.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
That would be my 25 cent solution. It' not like they're on long enough to impact on energy consumption.
In many cases it is nothing to do with energy consumption but rather it's because of bulb life. Many light fixtures in garages, including those in openers, are very difficult access to change the bulbs. LED bulbs have a much longer lifespan before they need changing, making this a much more important reason then energy consumption.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 805

This may be overkill but I was not satisfied with the dim lighting provided by the single bulb in the opener.
I bought an occupancy sensor and wired it into the main garage lights. Ceiling mounted unit so it sees everything in the garage including the motion of the door moving up. Now when the garage door opens, the 8 LED bulbs mounted in the garage ceiling all come on.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #10

Hi dude, and I like your approach. Every day/night I enjoy the benefits of low cost and great lighting from my LED lights. Still have a few CFL's in low use areas that don't bother me with the slow turn on issue, but they will go. In fact I'm reserving them to test new LED introductions as I'm running out of places to test. Just love the long life aspect Msradell mentioned.

I have the plug-in motion sensor night lights but plan on adding several inside and outside motion sensor lights. Front door and garage end of house currently have motion detectors but I want it all the way around, curiosity and security. I will also add some cameras. I'm basically deaf and at night when I take out my one hearing aide I'm totally deaf so find the lighting to be very comforting. That and a very sensitive puppy dog, she can detect the neighbors across the street coming and going.

OP have you tried a few different bulbs? If you find a brand that works it would help others visiting here.

Best
Bud
Old 12-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,323

Quote:
A "lasagna cell" is accidentally produced when salty moist food such as lasagna is stored in a steel baking pan and is covered with aluminum foil. After a few hours the foil develops small holes where it touches the lasagna, and the food surface becomes covered with small spots composed of corroded aluminum.[15] In this example, the salty food (lasagna) is the electrolyte, the aluminum foil is the anode, and the steel pan is the cathode. If the aluminum foil only touches the electrolyte in small areas, the galvanic corrosion is concentrated, and corrosion can occur fairly rapidly. If an aluminum baking pan is used instead, the rate of corrosion is markedly reduced, but still may occur.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvan...n#Lasagna_cell

If somebody can corrode a piece of aluminum foil with the current produced by a lasagna, I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to stick random pieces of foil into lamp sockets.

Yes, I know you're not literally putting it into the socket, but still...

Last edited by mathmonger; 12-17-2018 at 09:46 AM.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi tj,
I would suggest you try to find another bulb that works as opposed to the foil wrap which could result in a a heat issue with unknown consequences.

Not sure on your bulb but that area on mine is the heat sink and reflective foil tape would prevent heat dissipation.

For all reading I would advise not wrapping any part of any light bulb in foil tape.

Sorry tj but for safety i had to post my concerns.

Bud
I certainly wouldn't disagree with the concern in general but don't most garage door lights only run for 3-5 minutes? Seems like that wouldn't be long enough for too much heat build up. But better safe than sorry I suppose.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Hi craig, you said " most garage door lights only run for 3-5 minutes" is part of my concern. Suggesting anyone wrap an LED with foil for any reason runs the risk that some future reader or different applications might run into a problem "because they read it here" In this case there is probably a simple low cost alternate solution that presents zero risk beyond the recommended use of a different bulb, even if it is an incandescent.

Just wanted to follow the post with the caution.

Best
Bud
Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Most door openers have a fairly low watt rating and specify bulbs that are 60 watt due to close proximity to plastic parts and the heat incandescent bulbs put off.

But since LED lights give you more lumens with less heat they are a natural choice for garage door openers... a brighter garage with less power consumption and less heat.

__________________________________________________ __

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I certainly wouldn't disagree with the concern in general but don't most garage door lights only run for 3-5 minutes? Seems like that wouldn't be long enough for too much heat build up. But better safe than sorry I suppose.
Our Chamberlain opener has motion detector so the lights are on whenever you walk into the garage... nice feature.

So the lights stay on as long as you are in the garage moving about.

__________________________________________________ ___

I just went out and screwed a 100 watt Phillips LED bulb into our Chamberlain opener... the LED bulb won't work... but the 60 watt incandescent bulbs work just fine.

Here's a list of which LED bulbs are recommended... and a link to that data: https://www.garaga.com/blog/which-le...ge-door-opener
Attached Thumbnails
LED bulbs and Garage Door Openers-led-light-garage-door-opener.jpg  

Last edited by HenryMac; 12-17-2018 at 11:14 AM.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2

I have been using regular Sylvania 60watt 5000K LED bulbs that I get from Home Depot or Lowes in my garage door openers for many years, and I have never has any issues with them.

Last edited by Ram Night; 12-19-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Ram Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement