Insulation?!!!! Fiberglass (pink Stuff) Or Something Else? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Insulation?!!!! Fiberglass (pink stuff) or Something Else?

I am not looking for spray or spray foam. My MAIN interest is in batts. 2x4 cavity walls. What alternatives would you suggest to pink fiberglass? What are the cost factors and R values?

Thank You Friends!
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I'd avoid fiberglass and stick to cotton or cellulose for insulation. They are the safest overall; but they do have a higher up-front cost. My concern about fiberglass is that it will become the next asbestos; this could possibly make the house difficult to sell in the future. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvee View Post
I'd avoid fiberglass and stick to cotton or cellulose for insulation. They are the safest overall; but they do have a higher up-front cost. My concern about fiberglass is that it will become the next asbestos; this could possibly make the house difficult to sell in the future. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
Crazy talk.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvee View Post
No "crazy talk" at all. Actually, it is spot on. FG is a known carcinogen, is really poor insulation (great marketing) and besides that, who in their right mind would want to handle that stuff or be around it when installed? I know; in '80 I put 13" into my walls. Cotton or cellulose (treated w/ borates), or rock wool is real insulation. Research FG and you'll read about its R value dropping when it is cold (when you need it; how ironic), convective loops in it, etc, etc. All that said, be sure to air seal like mad. The Airtight Drywall Approach is recommended unless a true vapor barrier is mandated in your area.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

What is the cellosose?
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
What is the cellosose?
Cellulose is shreaded newspaper that has been treated w/ borates. Borates are a fire retardant and an insect/rodent retardant. Google it; you'll learn lots. I has been used as insulation for decades and has many benefits over fiberglass. You can blow it loose, wet (so it sticks to a vertical wall, then dries to a crusty, cake like matter), or get it in batts. Here are a couple of links to read
. http://bct.eco.umass.edu/publication...-smart-choice/

http://www.nuwool.com/Products/ProductsMain.aspx

cmsgreen.com

Check on buildingscience.com, etc, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 272

You might also want to look into rockwool as it is both water proof and fireproof. I have used a brand called Roxul. They also make a product called Safe and Sound which I have used between floors and between rooms as a sound deadener, and it works great. One of the nice things about this product is it does not have that itchy quality about it.

cheers
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #8

Fix: Roxul was high on my list until I decided to dense pack cellulose. I have never seen it, but it "reads good" on many sites. Too, I don't think it is new. One of the Pink Panther companies told me that they used to make it, but quit for some reason, and I think I recall my dad talking about it when I was a kid. The more I read about fiberglass, and the fact that I hate touching/breathing that crap, the more I wish I would have put cellulose in my walls in '80. It was very new, at least to me, then, so I only used it over some FG in my attic; over a foot of it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #9

I think what put me over the top with Roxul was the demo I saw of it being dunked into a pool and coming out dry ( after a shake). The idea of rotting walls that I have installed does not sit well.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #10

The rot doesn't come from the insulation, though. It comes from damp air getting to cool wood; hence air seal like a madman. Also, if the wall is vapor open on both sides, water vapor can (maybe) escape before it raises hell. That is one reason to avoid a true vapor barrier unless you HAVE to have it, and install it w/ extreme care if you need one (to keep any air out in the first place). Too, cellulose will absorb moisture better than any other (as far as I know) insulation, store it, and let it out when the temp goes up again. (To a limited degree, of course.) Batts can be very handy for certain situations, and I understand that the Roxul is cut a tad wide so it can be squeezed in a bit(not affecting r value for stink) or left alone to fit the cavity that the carpenter "did not exactly set at 14.5 inches".
Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #11

I was thinking more of not having to toss the insulation in the event there was any kind of moisture penetration more than anything else. I understand the bigger picture of making sure everything is sealed and vapour barrier done correctly. I have also made sure my basement walls that are below grade do not have a vapour barrier so the wall can breathe.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #12

Oh. Roger that. That may be a good point for Roxul, then. I was not thinking of catastrophic failure, but stinks happens. You were a step ahead of me. j
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #13

only cause I have a sprained ankle right now and I think I tripped in front of you....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement