Installing Panasonic Bathroom Exhaust Fan - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 205

Installing Panasonic bathroom exhaust fan

Are these supposed to be installed through the ceiling drywall into the joist or just directly into the joist? The instructions dont specifically mention anything. Some pictures show the unit as being screwed through the ceiling drywall into the joist, and others show it being screwed directly into the joist. Any advice here? I have the FV-10VSL3 and I'm just not sure.

It has the oval duct since it's slim, and i found it hard to get access to the bottom of the exhaust because it was almost flush to the top of the ceiling drywall. I couldnt even fit a clamp over it, or tape. This leads me to believe that i either needed to screw it in directly to the joist and not through the drywall, or that i should have attached the duct first.

Thanks!

Last edited by amateurplumber; 01-10-2015 at 04:08 PM.
amateurplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

I like to install the vents from above if possible. I will look at your fan and post back. I have installed many from below. Install the insulated duct, wire and push up and mount.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Panasonic makes a very nice fan. I am not a fan( no pun) of the mounting instructions. I build a wooden support and mount it to that. The other models I have mounted with no support end up making a bit of noise. If you have the access from above that is the way to go. Never have used those adjustable mounting brackets, but they maybe fine.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Generally, it doesn't matter as long as the cover can be snug to the finish ceiling, and if you are changing the brand, you should expect to remove some of the drywall, mount and fix the ducting, and repair-paint.
For these reasons, simple would be stay with same model and just replace the motor/fan.
I mount the box loosely. I drill new holes on the sides that face the joists (or new frame for the box). These holes are bigger than the screws I plan to use. Then I use long wood screws that will go in at least 1" into the frame, and the screw heads will not touch the box. Now the box is "floating" on 4 screws.
This is the best way I found, so far, to avoid later vibration noise.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement