Install Shed Foundation? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Install shed foundation?

I am planning on demolishing an old 8x8 shed and replacing it with one that is 8x15. My problem is that there is about a 12" drop between one side and the other. I was thinking of cementing 6 4x4 PT posts in holes about 24" deep (I live in MD, near DC), then building a perimeter foundation out of PT 2/4's, then covering in 3/4" PT plywood to make a floor, then building the shed on top of this. I should be able to use the 2 holes that are there now for the center posts (the other end is on flat ground right now - I am planning on on raising the end that will be on flat ground a few inches to avoid water.

A couple of questions - Is my idea the best way to build a solid foundation? If not, what's the sturdiest way to build a foundation? Any tricks to make the base plumb, square, and level? Thanks!
coolheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

One common option is to place gravel or crushed stone at the correct elevation, level of course, then use a 4 inch thick concrete slab as the floor. You would typically use a thickened slab around the edges to support the foundation sill. If you don't want the slab, you can make the floor from crushed stone, and support the perimeter beams on concrete footers, typically formed using sonotubes.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

Thanks for the info.
coolheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement