Ideas On What To Add To Before Installing Drywall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 232

Ideas on what to add to before installing drywall

Our house is being remodeled and is currently down to the studs. Besides home automation and whole home audio/music system is there anything else we should consider adding to the home while its the last time it'll be completely open?
anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
The Painting Man

Rewards Points: 76

Re: Ideas on what to add to before installing drywall

Comes down to personal taste. I would draw inspiration from other house builds. I had a music system in my old home. Never used it.
BocaPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,388

Will the value of your remodel trigger updates of non-affected systems? For example: Will you have meet AFCI requirements, HVAC efficiency requirements, etc?
Not something you want to find out about at a final inspection.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 912

Other than what you've already mentioned I would probably put in a couple of blank conduit runs from the basement to the attic (crawlspace to attic or whatever) to make it easier in the future if you decide you need to run something additional such as fiber-optic cable or whatever. I would probably consider doing the same thing for places that you're going to be running Cat 5 (or 5e or 6 or whatever) you're running to places you will want television or Internet in the future. Smurf tube is quite inexpensive and makes future upgrades/changes very easy.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,813

Laundry chute
Whole house vacuum
Insulation
Sound-proofing
More electric (add outlets/wall sconces/recessed lighting)
More plumbing (maybe add a sink in a nursery or craft room)
Pass-through counter
Custom recesses for shelves/knick-knacks/cable box/fire extinguisher/whatever
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

loved the blank conduits runs idea, ran out and bought 25 feet of 1 inch tubing and 1 1/2" auger bit (because the outer diameter is a bit bigger than 1 3/8", but now I wonder if punching a 1 1/2" hole through bottom plates is a no no. Is an 1 1/2" hole through single or double top and bottom plates okay?
Old 10-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,106

I think I would stick to 1/2" and 3/4". 1/2" for low voltage stuff and 3/4 for electric cable.
Run a nylon string thru it and tie to each end. Them if you need to pull some cable or wire you can tie your cord to it and another nylon cord and pull. Then you will still have a nylon cord for pulling the next time.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

Before hanging the drywall in my bathroom, I decided where I wanted the towel bar and toilet paper holder and put horizontal 2x4 boards between the studs in those spots. Then I measured where those boards were in distance from the ceiling, floor and adjoining walls and wrote the measurements down on a piece of paper. I kept the measurements somewhere that I could find it when it came time to install the towel bar and t.p. holder. A towel bar or t.p. holder that's screwed into drywall only can get loose or be pulled out.

My neighbor put 2x4's between the studs in his kitchen at the height where the upper cabinets would be screwed into the wall. That way he didn't have to worry about finding the studs behind the drywall.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 708

Also, add blocking on the top of each window opening for curtain rod backing, and blocking around the tub for safety bars in future.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Great ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement