Ideas For Custom Poles For Cafe / String Lighting (pic Included)? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By justin494

Old 06-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Question

Ideas for custom poles for cafe / string lighting (pic included)?

Hi everyone, looking to string lighting over a patio. A rough sketch is pictured below.

The plan is to:
  1. Bore holes in concrete wall blocks
  2. Insert sleeves into boreholes
  3. Insert poles into sleeves
  4. String lights along poles

I'm looking for advice on materials for the sleeves and the poles.

Requirements for sleeves:
  • Be corrosion-resistant

Requirements for poles:
  • Be corrosion-resistant
  • Be available in lengths up to 10 feet
  • Outer diameter should nest snugly into sleeves <== This is where I'm struggling!
  • Should be no more than ~1.5 inches in diameter
  • Be relatively rigid (don't want poles that are bending noticably)
  • Be available in black

My working idea is furniture-grade PVC:

POLE: https://pvcpipesupplies.com/3-4-pipe-p0075blf.html

and

SLEEVE: https://formufit.com/collections/thi...ure-grade-5-ft

But I'm concerned about:
  • Lack of rigidity
  • Lack of snug fit (difference between sleeve inner diameter and pole outer diameter is 0.135")

Does anyone have any thoughts on the furniture-grade PVC? Or have other ideas?
justin494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 636

Re: Ideas for custom poles for cafe / string lighting (pic included)?

Hi, Justin -

I've been waiting for someone more expert to answer your questions, but no luck so far. So here goes nothing.

I've used 3/4" PVC (both white and black), along with 3-way and 4-way fittings, to form a framework for semi-permanent tent-sheds (they were meant to be temporary, but are so nice, two of them became permanent -- just have to change the tarp every so often.

Joined like that in a lattice framework, they are reasonably stable, especially when the cover is pulled tight to the ground and around the pipe at the ends of the shed. This material is fairly flexible, which is good for bending into a tent-frame. Unfortunately, it is way too flexible to use as-is for stand-alone 10-ft light-poles.

A few thoughts:
1) Buy one, fill it with fast-setting insulation foam. That stuff might give you enough rigidity to work. I'm not betting on it, but...who knows, maybe.
2) Use larger PVC pipe. Your same source lists 1 1/2" (ID) x 10' black pipe for $14/ea, if you buy 10 of them. In your picture, you only need 7, but having a few extra can't hurt. I realize this pipe is 1.9" OD, but maybe you can drill bigger holes?
3) Add the fast-setting foam to that 1 1/2 inch pipe, and they should be very sturdy. Put T-fittings on top, and cut a groove 1/2" wide along the top of each fitting, should make stringing the wire easy, and easy to take down.
jimfarwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 226

Justin494, I can't help you but I do have to compliment you on your "rough sketch". That's some pretty heavily detailed rough sketching. Did you use some kind of 3D cad program or similar?
OutbackAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 330

For your sleeves, use several connectors, stuck together with gorilla tape, all lined up to whatever height desired.

I have seen 2 different kinds of connectors, the ones with a bump in the center of the bore, and ones that are pass through, use the pass through, for your assembly.

Once you get a length that you desire, just glue the construction into the drilled hole.

This solves the sleeves.

For the poles, find wooden dowels the correct ID of the pipe, stuff the dowels into it, and glue that too if the dowels are too loose.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,486

fiberglass??
https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Heavy-.../dp/B00BIEBEPM
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I'm pretty sure this product was what my neighbor in Auburn WA used...he had a couple of them, 13 footers I think, to hold up a graduation banner for his son and some classmates. A wind came up and they both broke.

If you check out the one-star reviews for this product, it seems my neighbor isn't the only one who had problems with it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfarwell View Post
I'm pretty sure this product was what my neighbor in Auburn WA used...he had a couple of them, 13 footers I think, to hold up a graduation banner for his son and some classmates. A wind came up and they both broke.

If you check out the one-star reviews for this product, it seems my neighbor isn't the only one who had problems with it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.
Your looking to hold up lights not wind socks.
jimfarwell and Mike Milam like this.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Your looking to hold up lights not wind socks.
You're right. Not much wind resistance to lighting cord. Sorry, shouldn't have kibitzed.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfarwell View Post
You're right. Not much wind resistance to lighting cord. Sorry, shouldn't have kibitzed.
This is what came to mind
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll consider these options. Sketch was done in SketchUp. Free/browser-based app. About 2-3 hours to learn. Many more hours to complete the sketch.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 22

Galvanized chain link fence top rails and caps may work, bought from Lowes or HD. Go to either store FIRST and check them out physically, to see if the "tightness" of the slip joint is not too loose or too tight. If so, and like...

Drill a hole in the blocks (8" deep, 16" deep ??? ) that will be about 1/2" larger than the pipe all the way around it. Saw a piece of the "straight "end off of a top rail that will be long enough to be 6 inches above the block surface. This is so a pocket level can be used to be sure the "sleeves" are installed "plumb". If the pole sleeves are not plumb, the poles will all be leaning out or in, whoppy jawded looking.

(Cut the pipe (sleeve) sticking up out of the block off flush later, after it sets up tight.)

Put the sleeve(pipe) in the hole drilled, plumb it and then pour "hot' epoxy or hydraulic cement around the pipe. Be sure and let it cure well before attempting to install the pole, or your sleeve work will be ruined.

The remaining length of the (top rail) pipe will be less than 10 ft. long now, as the "sleeve" was cut from it. The pipe now makes a removable pole as its swaged smaller end, will now stick down in the pipe.

Some grease on it will help maintain the removal of it. Place a cap on top of the poles like in the sketch, with construction adhesion. (or find something more appealing )

A rubber plug or plastic cap can probably be found somewhere to plug these block "sleeves) to where unauthorized fingers will not get in them and get cut/broken...or allow them to fill up with leaf debris, kids tiny toys, etc. They will HAVE to kept clean or the pipes will not go in them when needed.

Both top rail and caps can be bought in black at extra $$$$$.

This portable pole system is only going to be as strong as the blocks are, that are supporting the poles. Two courses of retaining block that are not mortared or glued, may not hold this system up in high winds with full runs of light strings.

Using primer paint (etching) rated for galvanized pipe and then finish coats of black paint (rustoleum aerosol) can be done too, if one has the time and the space to paint the poles /caps . JMO

P.S. I would not use a hammer drill with a twisted auger "percussion" type bit as it will break those retaining wall blocks most likely. Use a core drill "cup" style bit ..rented.
de-nagorg likes this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 06-20-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Galvanized chain link fence top rails...
Great advice...thanks!
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement