How Should I Outfit This Work Area? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By tmittelstaedt
  • 2 Post By Nealtw

Old 10-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 236

How should I outfit this work area?

Looking for ideas on what to do with regards to putting in a workbench, something on the walls (pegboard?), etc. Will be working with the area to the left of the sump pipes and right of the steel shelving. If anyone has seen a sweet set up lately would love a link or pic, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How should I outfit this work area?-2019-10-13_11-34-43_311.jpg   How should I outfit this work area?-2019-10-13_11-34-49_746.jpg  
bluefish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 646

Re: How should I outfit this work area?

Run some receptacles at 48" AFF along where the bench will be. Definitely install pegboard or something durable over the walls and insulation. Build your bench at a comfortable height, usually 36" , and include some shelf storage below. I would install a large enough vice at one end, too.
Msradell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 536

I think pegboard is overrated and I think most people with work benches do not actually hang up the tools they use most often. My preference is a lot of shelving that sticks out around 6 inches above the bench and you fill it with clear plastic peanut butter containers with the labels soaked off for small parts storage, and boxes of screws and nails and so on. I have a work bench my Dad made with pegboard on the back and the stuff in the pegboard just sits. I keep it because it reminds me of my father but I wouldn't make one like that.

For a work bench, making your own is a rite of passage and I hope you plan on it. It is easy to design one made of 2x4s bolted together or better yet 4x4s. Buy the vise you are going to use first before making the bench so you know how deep you need the edge to be, and there is no such thing as a vise that is "too big" I have one that is a large Craftsman that is probably 70 years old that was made back when they still made large heavy vises. It is bolted into 2 2x4's that are sistered together and run around the edge of the table. The table is 1 inch plywood with a 1/2 inch layer of particle board on top of that and many cross beams under the plywood. The particle board is high friction so I can put a board or metal beam down on the table and drill through it into the particle board with a hand drill without the bother of having to clamp it. Particle board is also great at absorbing grease and oil spills and paint drips. After a year or so when the particle board gets too beat up I flip it over then when the other side gets too beat up I toss it and buy a new one.
SPS-1 likes this.
tmittelstaedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,733

Move the sump pump pipes up against the wall and make an epic workbench 20 feet long. Does it have to be flat against the wall? Maybe do an L shape to make it even bigger. Nice big vise. Anvil. Modular design. If you have a bench grinder, just mount it on a piece of wood and then clamp it to the bench when needed. You don't need that permanently installed, taking up space. Add lots of light. Never too much light. Think about workflow. There's always going to be garbage, so plan a space for a bin. There's always going to be dust, so find a place for a brush or blower or whatever you are going to clean that up with. Prominent place for safety glasses and PPE. If it's easy to grab, you are more likely to use it. Shop towels and rags are infinitely useful. Keep those handy. Have a charging station. Radio. Pegboard is good for some things, but if you want to get all those fancy gadgets to hang all different kinds of stuff, it gets effing expensive. My pegboard is covered with things hanging off of zip ties and flimsy plastic cups full of stuff that are held on by zip ties. I'm not really proud of it. I probably should just mount a couple of shelves with peanut butter jars in front of the peg board and have the best of both worlds, but that seems like pegboard sacrilege. Pegboard is smaller than it looks, too. It looks like a lot of tools hanging there, but they are all spread out. I don't do much woodworking, but the woodworking benches have a bunch of holes drilled in the work surface for bench dogs and holdfasts. But you can get all kinds of other gizmos that fit in those same holes. It's like horizontal pegboard. And they have the vise on the side, so the top is totally flat. Keep a bunch of bar clamps handy and make sure the bench has a nice lip so you can clamp stuff to it easily. I'm not a fan of drawers. Mine fill up with junk. But that depends on your style, I guess.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 332

Cover the insulation with drywall first. The paper is a fire hazard.
Msradell and mathmonger like this.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Cover the insulation with drywall first. The paper is a fire hazard.
You need to evaluate the humidity of the room first. If you have this problem, then the drywall is not suitable. I insulated part of the garage last year using fiberglass. It turns out more expensive than drywall or polystyrene but it is better for fire safety.
BentonGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement