How Should This Gutter Be Properly Rerouted? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

How should this gutter be properly rerouted?

Working through the small details on projects that didn't get finished last year. We had this concrete pad installed last summer and now need to reroute the downspouts. previously the downspouts just dumps into the green trays that you see leaning against the fences, but I want to get the runoff further away from the foundation and pad.

The easy one on the right side has been dealt with, an extension was added to carry the water away from the foundation and new pad and now runoff spills into the garden along the fence line. As a next step to know if something like a soaker hose exists but of a larger diameter pipe and regular spaced holes to allow for the volume of water this gutter can carry to irrigate along the fence line, rather than just dump in one spot and erode under the fence and into my neighbor's driveway.

The more challenging one on the left extending straight off the back or to the left(away from house) puts it in the only traffic area into and out of the backyard (better view in the pre-pad photo). My first thought is to place a rain barrel on a stand on the pad, then run an irrigation drip line under the path and along the side of the garage where there is now a narrow band of planting. Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
How should this gutter be properly rerouted?-10341682_10152491350544120_3824100209674982673_n.jpg   How should this gutter be properly rerouted?-concretepadlocation.jpg  
tkpirson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,589

Before that fresh dirt fully settles I would dig a shallow trench along the side of patio, use 3 or 4" PVC until I got past the end of the patio and use one of those pop up heads to get the water to the lower right hand corner of the first picture.

Please note I said PVC; that black corrugated stuff just does not hold up. BTDT and I don't plan to do it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 165

I agree with Colbyt, you should run them underground. Definitely use pvc, I used schedule 40 when I did it at my house. Run them away from the foundation and patio. If you can, have them exit to daylight, but if not the pop up will work. The only issue with that would be in the winter if the pipe is full of water, it will do you no good frozen solid.
chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Thanks, that photo is actually from last June. Since then, I've regraded it with a gentler slope out into the yard and reseeded the grass up to it.

As for the pipe idea though, I could run it below grade across the path and down the length of the garage and use our butterfly garden as a swale. I'll have to double check but I believe that there's roughly a food and a half or more of drop in the 15 feet from back of the house to the garden. So plenty of drop to clear a drainline.

Either way, the yard is currently frozen under 3 feet of snow...with this endless winter that we have fallen into, so I won't be doing any digging anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
How should this gutter be properly rerouted?-10409648_10152576655804120_6291507435076237669_n.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

nice job....but downspouts should have been addressed before the concrete was poured they should have been connected to one another and one line run out to grade..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
The only issue with that would be in the winter if the pipe is full of water, it will do you no good frozen solid.
A somewhat pricey elbow with a drain is available. A 2.5 gallon dry well under the regular elbow and 1/2" bit works about as well.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,012

Here's a crazy idea...
Bury a container and have the down spout drain into it. Inside the container have a sump pump, have the water piped from the sump pump to a sprinkler head.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
A somewhat pricey elbow with a drain is available. A 2.5 gallon dry well under the regular elbow and 1/2" bit works about as well.
pipe would not be full of water if plumbed properly...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 492

What's on the opposite end of the gutter? Can you pitch the gutter in the opposite direction and have the downspouts on the other end so you dont have to deal with a down spout by your patio
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
pipe would not be full of water if plumbed properly...
That is true, but there would be some remaining. I think they are meant to be used with that black poly stuff with or without holes. The guys who put them in for my neighbor went with solid poly past the back of the holes and used the perforated stuff for the last 15-20 feet.

I don't have the pop ups. I just exited on grade with a gentle swag.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
What's on the opposite end of the gutter? Can you pitch the gutter in the opposite direction and have the downspouts on the other end so you dont have to deal with a down spout by your patio
This is an addition off the back of the house and pitching the gutter the other way would bring the water back towards the corner created house

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Here's a crazy idea...
Bury a container and have the down spout drain into it. Inside the container have a sump pump, have the water piped from the sump pump to a sprinkler head.?
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that burying a sump pump outside in my area would seize it up the first winter. I also have no power run to the backyard. We also get enough rain that I rarely need to use the sprinkler, if I go the irrigation route, the passive drip line off of a rain barrel would be the best way to use just the water pressure in the barrel to drip out into the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Not sure what a dry well is, but it sounds like I'm just storing/housing water against my foundation?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 9,438

Another possibility is running a section of spout across the bottom, so it discharges to the right. For looks, you probably want to run the section across the foundation rather than the siding, but it looks like you have the height. Need some slope on that cross piece, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
How should this gutter be properly rerouted?-downspout.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkpirson View Post

Not sure what a dry well is, but it sounds like I'm just storing/housing water against my foundation?

A dry well is a hole full of crushed stone and in this case it would be under the elbow at the end of the pipe where the popup drain would be located. A far better solution is to exit the ground on grade with a straight pipe so that no water can accumulate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement