How Much Space Between Sheetrock And Floor? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By jeffmattero76
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 80
Default

how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Hello, is there a standard measurement for the gap between the floor and sheetrock? Im doing a build, and our floor to ceiling height is 2515mm, sheetrock here in Estonia comes standard in 13mm thickness, and either 2400mm or 2500mm in length. So if I install a 13mm thick piece on the ceiling, that leaves 2502mm left to fit the sheetrock. Is 2mm ok gap or should I get the 2400mm size? Or cut down the 2500mm piece so it leaves say 10mm?
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourinecactu View Post
Hello, is there a standard measurement for the gap between the floor and sheetrock? Im doing a build, and our floor to ceiling height is 2515mm, sheetrock here in Estonia comes standard in 13mm thickness, and either 2400mm or 2500mm in length. So if I install a 13mm thick piece on the ceiling, that leaves 2502mm left to fit the sheetrock. Is 2mm ok gap or should I get the 2400mm size? Or cut down the 2500mm piece so it leaves say 10mm?

You want to lay them on there side, we do ceilings with what might be closer to 15mm
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You want to lay them on there side, we do ceilings with what might be closer to 15mm
the sizes only come in 1200mm x 2200-3600mm (in 100mm increments)

To match the height of our ceiling would need to stack 2, then do a bunch of cutting for the left over slice. Seems vertically would be more efficient over here?
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,767
Rewards Points: 1,764
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Assuming baseboard is used, either 2mm or 10mm is a pretty small gap (roughly 5/64" to a tad over 3/8").
__________________
_________________________________________
Who Dares Wins
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourinecactu View Post
the sizes only come in 1200mm x 2200-3600mm (in 100mm increments)

To match the height of our ceiling would need to stack 2, then do a bunch of cutting for the left over slice. Seems vertically would be more efficient over here?

Yes we can buy 1371. But when they have to do a strip they put it in the middle and keep the bottom about 12mm off the floor.

No pros here ever stand them up, the stud lay out has to be perfect and the lay out for studs is for the outside of the build so you have to cut both first and last sheet to stand them up.
mark sr likes this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 732
Rewards Points: 1,367
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


A 2mm gap to the floor is fine; I doubt you're actually gonna end up with that anyway—it'll probably fit perfectly with the tolerances I expect. Actually, depending on the floor you even want the 12mm Neal mentions, just in case of water spillage.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
A 2mm gap to the floor is fine; I doubt you're actually gonna end up with that anyway—it'll probably fit perfectly with the tolerances I expect. Actually, depending on the floor you even want the 12mm Neal mentions, just in case of water spillage.
ok thanks for the advice, we are just having sealed and painted concrete floors, so no extra stuff added, just some baseboard
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 732
Rewards Points: 1,367
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Baseboard would cover up any gaps at the bottom.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 5,994
Rewards Points: 2,352
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Studs are 92 5/8", plus bottom plate of 1 1/2", plus two top plates at 1 1/2" each, less the space taken up by ceiling sheetrock, so 92 5/8 + 1 1/2 +2 1/2 would equal 97 5/8", leaving about 3/8" of a gap, but as stated, base molding covers it.

Sorry, you'll have to convert all this American crappy inch stuff to metric.
tambourinecactu likes this.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 5,994
Rewards Points: 2,352
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Even US math sucks. You will have 96 5/8 of space, so 5/8" of gap at the bottom.
tambourinecactu likes this.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,139
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Yes we can buy 1371. But when they have to do a strip they put it in the middle and keep the bottom about 12mm off the floor.

No pros here ever stand them up, the stud lay out has to be perfect and the lay out for studs is for the outside of the build so you have to cut both first and last sheet to stand them up.
If you are going to lay it horozontally, and need a strip in the middle, I would suggest using 3/8" drywall for the strip. That will make taping, mudding, and feathering much easier. Someone suggested that to me years ago, and it works great.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Nealtw likes this.
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
If you are going to lay it horozontally, and need a strip in the middle, I would suggest using 3/8" drywall for the strip. That will make taping, mudding, and feathering much easier. Someone suggested that to me years ago, and it works great.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

That's cheating, I like it. The pros wouldn't need it but the rest of us need all the help we can get.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 732
Rewards Points: 1,367
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


Is there a trick for breaking an 8' strip off a 3/8" sheet?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 6,270
Rewards Points: 544
Default

Re: how much space between sheetrock and floor?


I assume you mean 8" strip, you'd score and break it just like you would any drywall.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caulk Gap between kitchen wood floor and sheetrock to protect against roaches jaketrades Flooring 5 06-08-2018 04:45 AM
Preparing Attic Space for Future Upgrade F250 Building & Construction 8 02-16-2018 02:54 PM
Best way to mount sheetrock when floor to ceiling is 100" miamicuse Drywall & Plaster 8 01-22-2016 05:51 PM
Getting sheetrock boards up to 3rd floor condo stripedbass Remodeling 9 10-15-2014 12:02 AM
second floor Cape treefrog HVAC 0 05-13-2010 09:58 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts