How To Look Up Electrician's Certification In Calif? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

How to look up electrician's certification in Calif?

Has anyone figured out how to look up an electrician's certification in California without having the certification number or driver's license number?

I'm trying to use the search box at

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/Elec...CertSearch.asp

but it doesn't seem to accept the electrician's name.

I've placed a call to the Contact Us phone number at that web page, but ran into a twisty-turny bureaucratic maze.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
SimSportPlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 690

There is a pdf listing at
https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/CA_E..._Certified.pdf
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
SimSportPlyr (09-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Are you looking for a Contractors License number? or his helper's certification number?
License numbers are at http://www.cslb.ca.gov you can search by name, number, business name-
Certificates are for unlicensed helpers and apprentices; cert holders cannot perform electrical work except for a licensed contractor- except - any "handyperson" can do work with total job value of less than $400-
rasmadji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rasmadji For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Wow, thanks!

Interesting.....a guy who's done work for me is not on that list. He calls himself an electrician and he has a valid contractor license with classifications B and C10.

Do you know what it means that he has a C10 license, but not a current electrician's certification? I don't understand these licenses and certifications very well.

Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmadji View Post
Are you looking for a Contractors License number? or his helper's certification number?
License numbers are at http://www.cslb.ca.gov you can search by name, number, business name-
Certificates are for unlicensed helpers and apprentices; cert holders cannot perform electrical work except for a licensed contractor- except - any "handyperson" can do work with total job value of less than $400-
I may be confused as to what I'm looking for.

It's my impression that a contractor license and an electrician certification are two different things (although perhaps related in some way).

A guy who has done electrical work for me has a business card that essentially says:

Smith Electric [I changed the name]
Lic no 123456

The license number is a contractor license number.

This gentleman seemed a bit unsure about codes (when I asked him questions) related to a recent job he did for me, so I started wondering whether he is a journeyman or master electrician. But, I couldn't figure out how to use his name or contractor # to do a lookup of his electrician certification on the ca.gov site.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 690

A C10 license is an electrical contractors license.

I am not sure whether they must keep their electrician certification up to date if they are holding the C10 license, or not.

Calif. does not use the Master Electrician title. You are a journeyman or a contractor.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
A C10 license is an electrical contractors license.

I am not sure whether they must keep their electrician certification up to date if they are holding the C10 license, or not.

Calif. does not use the Master Electrician title. You are a journeyman or a contractor.
I see.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Up until about 6-8 years ago there were no certificates or apprentice program in CA -
If you wanted to be a contractor you had to work ten years for licensed electricians and have them verify; also four years had to be as journey level & supervisor position.
You had to prove financial security, have workers compensation insurance and take a written test - 3 hours code & 3 hours law - NO open books or notes permitted - also had to produce photo-id before the tests. If you pass both parts you pay the $350 fee, for two years license period.
rasmadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmadji View Post
Up until about 6-8 years ago there were no certificates or apprentice program in CA -
If you wanted to be a contractor you had to work ten years for licensed electricians and have them verify; also four years had to be as journey level & supervisor position.
You had to prove financial security, have workers compensation insurance and take a written test - 3 hours code & 3 hours law - NO open books or notes permitted - also had to produce photo-id before the tests. If you pass both parts you pay the $350 fee, for two years license period.
I didn't know that. Thanks (again).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement