How Long Does The Wood Last? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 2 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 2 Post By Guap0_
  • 3 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer

Old 06-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 82

how long does the wood last?

Hello! How long can you expect all the wood in your house to last if its kept dry and maintained? From the floor joists, to the internal wall frames, to the plywood underfloor.
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 958

Re: how long does the wood last?

Is this just a warm and fuzzy question or do you have concerns that need to be addressed? Houses last for 100 years, some for 50. I have worked on buildings that were built when George Washington was President in 1793. Really subjective to the type of wood used and the manner in which it was installed, flashed, covered and kept from the elements, including water, sun, wind and ice/snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 240

I grew up in a home built in 1846. I drove past it a few years ago, and it looked the very same.... it does have a historical plack for its age, but it is not an expensive home, and I presume it's maintenence has just been just normal and responsible maintenance.

I'll bet some historical properties are probably over 300 years old in America... and well beyond that in Europe...

Just guessing
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 118

I have worked on structures that date to 1701 , 1803 thru 1890 all have good wood still remaining the 1701 structure has wood so hard you cannot cut it with a wood saw blade.
tambourinecactu likes this.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourinecactu View Post
Hello! How long can you expect all the wood in your house to last if its kept dry and maintained? From the floor joists, to the internal wall frames, to the plywood underfloor.
Ayuh,..... Can't say for Sure, as that day ain't come yet,......

Wood, kept dry, will virtually last forever,....
dd57chevy and tambourinecactu like this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 22

Yea, but you guys are talking about back when they had REAL trees. Back when big old 75 - 150 year old trees were harvested to build with. Most times the trees were harvested right on the properties of the home, being built.

For the passed 60 years now, our homes have been built from "whimpy" trees.

Those little sprigs they "re-forested" with, right after the lumber jacks flattened a whole side of a mountain's forest and shipped the logs out. And soon as these sprigs get legal cutting size, they cut them down and ship to the big box stores and stamp them grade one lumber. . Whimpy boards they are.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
Is this just a warm and fuzzy question.....?
LOL

Quote:
I have worked on buildings that were built when George Washington was President in 1793.
Didn't he have wooden teeth that lasted for a long time? That's what I heard.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Is this just a warm and fuzzy question or do you have concerns that need to be addressed? Houses last for 100 years, some for 50. I have worked on buildings that were built when George Washington was President in 1793. Really subjective to the type of wood used and the manner in which it was installed, flashed, covered and kept from the elements, including water, sun, wind and ice/snow.
definitely warm and fuzzy, getting ready to do a house build and am just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
I have worked on structures that date to 1701 , 1803 thru 1890 all have good wood still remaining the 1701 structure has wood so hard you cannot cut it with a wood saw blade.
wow! any pictures?
Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 238

I just got back from a vacation in Nova Scotia. There is a house in the town I was visiting (oldest settlement in Canada) that was built in 1603 and, as far as anyone knows, has been continuously occupied. One of the floor boards is 23" wide. My last house was build around 1895 and, of course, Europe has buildings much older. Dry and bug-free and wooden structure should last for just about ever.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Yea, but you guys are talking about back when they had REAL trees. Back when big old 75 - 150 year old trees were harvested to build with. Most times the trees were harvested right on the properties of the home, being built.

For the passed 60 years now, our homes have been built from "whimpy" trees.

Those little sprigs they "re-forested" with, right after the lumber jacks flattened a whole side of a mountain's forest and shipped the logs out. And soon as these sprigs get legal cutting size, they cut them down and ship to the big box stores and stamp them grade one lumber. . Whimpy boards they are.
You are 100% correct the lumber was harvested from the local forest most if not all is Heart Pine and some were so hard we needed to use self drilling screws for attachment. A lot of the older churches had wood pegs holding the units together. One church I remember had a very large timber beam that was locked together by a very neat cut joint ( kind of a zig cut ) with a very large wedge drive in to lock the beam together making one long beam.
Have only seen that splice one time.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement