How Long Does The Wood Last? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 2 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 2 Post By Guap0_
  • 3 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 82
Default

how long does the wood last?


Hello! How long can you expect all the wood in your house to last if its kept dry and maintained? From the floor joists, to the internal wall frames, to the plywood underfloor.
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 7,630
Rewards Points: 958
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Is this just a warm and fuzzy question or do you have concerns that need to be addressed? Houses last for 100 years, some for 50. I have worked on buildings that were built when George Washington was President in 1793. Really subjective to the type of wood used and the manner in which it was installed, flashed, covered and kept from the elements, including water, sun, wind and ice/snow.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 8,217
Rewards Points: 240
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


I grew up in a home built in 1846. I drove past it a few years ago, and it looked the very same.... it does have a historical plack for its age, but it is not an expensive home, and I presume it's maintenence has just been just normal and responsible maintenance.

I'll bet some historical properties are probably over 300 years old in America... and well beyond that in Europe...

Just guessing
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 118
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


I have worked on structures that date to 1701 , 1803 thru 1890 all have good wood still remaining the 1701 structure has wood so hard you cannot cut it with a wood saw blade.
tambourinecactu likes this.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,853
Rewards Points: 1,782
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourinecactu View Post
Hello! How long can you expect all the wood in your house to last if its kept dry and maintained? From the floor joists, to the internal wall frames, to the plywood underfloor.
Ayuh,..... Can't say for Sure, as that day ain't come yet,......

Wood, kept dry, will virtually last forever,....
dd57chevy and tambourinecactu like this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4,047
Rewards Points: 22
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Yea, but you guys are talking about back when they had REAL trees. Back when big old 75 - 150 year old trees were harvested to build with. Most times the trees were harvested right on the properties of the home, being built.

For the passed 60 years now, our homes have been built from "whimpy" trees.

Those little sprigs they "re-forested" with, right after the lumber jacks flattened a whole side of a mountain's forest and shipped the logs out. And soon as these sprigs get legal cutting size, they cut them down and ship to the big box stores and stamp them grade one lumber. . Whimpy boards they are.
tambourinecactu likes this.
__________________
...
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Guapo
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5,940
Rewards Points: 11,950
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Quote:
Is this just a warm and fuzzy question.....?
LOL

Quote:
I have worked on buildings that were built when George Washington was President in 1793.
Didn't he have wooden teeth that lasted for a long time? That's what I heard.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 82
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Is this just a warm and fuzzy question or do you have concerns that need to be addressed? Houses last for 100 years, some for 50. I have worked on buildings that were built when George Washington was President in 1793. Really subjective to the type of wood used and the manner in which it was installed, flashed, covered and kept from the elements, including water, sun, wind and ice/snow.
definitely warm and fuzzy, getting ready to do a house build and am just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 82
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
I have worked on structures that date to 1701 , 1803 thru 1890 all have good wood still remaining the 1701 structure has wood so hard you cannot cut it with a wood saw blade.
wow! any pictures?
tambourinecactu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,341
Rewards Points: 238
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


I just got back from a vacation in Nova Scotia. There is a house in the town I was visiting (oldest settlement in Canada) that was built in 1603 and, as far as anyone knows, has been continuously occupied. One of the floor boards is 23" wide. My last house was build around 1895 and, of course, Europe has buildings much older. Dry and bug-free and wooden structure should last for just about ever.
__________________
_________________________________________
Sic Itur at Astra
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 118
Default

Re: how long does the wood last?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Yea, but you guys are talking about back when they had REAL trees. Back when big old 75 - 150 year old trees were harvested to build with. Most times the trees were harvested right on the properties of the home, being built.

For the passed 60 years now, our homes have been built from "whimpy" trees.

Those little sprigs they "re-forested" with, right after the lumber jacks flattened a whole side of a mountain's forest and shipped the logs out. And soon as these sprigs get legal cutting size, they cut them down and ship to the big box stores and stamp them grade one lumber. . Whimpy boards they are.
You are 100% correct the lumber was harvested from the local forest most if not all is Heart Pine and some were so hard we needed to use self drilling screws for attachment. A lot of the older churches had wood pegs holding the units together. One church I remember had a very large timber beam that was locked together by a very neat cut joint ( kind of a zig cut ) with a very large wedge drive in to lock the beam together making one long beam.
Have only seen that splice one time.
tambourinecactu likes this.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long to acclimatize engineered wood flooring? Photobug Flooring 4 10-25-2017 06:17 PM
After applying wood filler, how long can I wait to sand? Rav Painting 5 07-30-2012 10:45 AM
How long can I store pressure-treated wood before using? DaveNJ Building & Construction 6 11-11-2009 08:39 AM
prepping old wood for painting newb questions afabco Painting 19 08-07-2008 12:19 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts