How To Keep Counter Tops Organized/dry - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By Druidia
  • 2 Post By Startingover
  • 2 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 2 Post By CaptTom

Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Thumbs up

How to keep counter tops organized/dry

Have you guys ever found something that just seems like such a simple idea, but for some reason you have fell in love with it? Call me crazy, but recently I was shopping on amazon for a new dish drying mat (our apartment doesn't have a dishwasher so literally every single dish we wash gets placed on a mat while it's drying) because ours has gotten old and has stains. Well, I found a new one, a couple dollars more expensive than the cheapest ones (still only like $10), but I LOVE IT. They call it like a "waffle print" design, but it's kind of elegant and I love how thick and padded it is. Haven't had to wash/dry it yet, but it says it's capable of washing machine and dryer. Anyway, thought you all might want to take a look at it.

If you just type in "PorchToPatio microfiber dish drying mat" on amazon it'll get you right to it!
KitchenCafe0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: How to keep counter tops organized/dry

I use the thing that acutally holds the dishes. I forgot what it's called.
CaptTom likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 253

Dish drain rack doesn’t get soggy like a drying mat does.
CaptTom likes this.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,204

Is this an ad?
jlhaslip and dd57chevy like this.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Is this an ad?
IDK, but we've found that eating out often helps keep counters clean and dry.
Startingover and DianaKaye like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Is this an ad?
AKA Spam
Startingover likes this.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #7

Senior,
You're so funny.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,402

I always wondered who bought those mats, instead of a proper drying rack. We never had a dishwasher until last year, and always had a rack.

If space is an issue, they sell small drying racks for an RV. I suppose the mat would make a good "overflow" if you had a lot of dishes. Then again, you can always dry them with a towel, or in a pinch, just USE a towel as a mat.
Msradell and Startingover like this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

I prefer using those drying mats (or a cotton placemat) as pretty rags that I can keep on the kitchen floor.

Occasionally, I’d get droplets of water on the kitchen floor. I keep a pretty drying mat or cotton placemat in front of the fridge so I have something I can quickly and easily move around with my foot to dry up the droplets. Beats having an old rag (that really looks like a rag) lying so conspicuously on the floor.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #10

I always wondered how much bacteria builds up inside those damp mats as they lay there? I have a metal dish rack sitting in one side of my sink. Mostly it holds things out of DW that have water drops or occasional things I hand wash. If its a big occasion i put a dish towel on the counter.

Last edited by Startingover; 02-26-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

How to keep counter tops organized/dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I always wondered who bought those mats, instead of a proper drying rack. We never had a dishwasher until last year, and always had a rack.

If space is an issue, they sell small drying racks for an RV. I suppose the mat would make a good "overflow" if you had a lot of dishes. Then again, you can always dry them with a towel, or in a pinch, just USE a towel as a mat.

I think people buy them because they’re pretty (some are) and it’s the IN thing.

That reminds me of the garbage bowl. A lot of people, including me, use some small container on the counter while food prepping. I actually keep a tallish plastic rectangular bin ($1 @ Dollartree) permanently on the counter. It occupies less counter surface space than a bowl. I use used plastic bags as liner. It holds my wet kitchen garbage (fruit/veggie wastes, meal wastes, etc ). It gets emptied at least 1x a day. It’s easy to wash and leave out to dry at the end of the day. It beats throwing wet organic material in my trash compactor/large kitchen trash can where it will sit for days decomposing and becoming stinky.

I digress.

Then, some time ago, Rachel Ray happened to mention her colorful bowl that she uses for that purpose - to hold food prepping waste. Then, she started selling them (currently $11 on Amazon).

So, it used to be that some people were satisfied with using any ol’ bowl for those prepping scraps. But no! Now, some people must have the Rachel Ray garbage bowl or something equally pretty to hold their food prepping waste.

https://unclutterer.com/2009/05/27/u...-garbage-bowl/

Last edited by Druidia; 02-27-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dishwasher , kitchen , organization products