How To Condition A Crawl Space? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

How to condition a crawl space?

Currently I have a crawl space under our main family room. The crawl has a 2" concrete covering on the ground and a foundation wall that is concrete block.
The original home owner put unfaced insulation up against the block wall. This crawl has 90% of all the hvac pipes in it. Soon the hvac will be put in the crawl. My question should I change anything since the main heater will go in the crawl? Currently all the outside vents are closed with insulation stuffed in them. I am going to seal of the vents before winter with plates. I am just wondering if I should change out the insulation for foam board ? If so how do I mount to the block wall? Foam board will be interesting to get down there due to stairs in front of the entrance. Do I need vapor barrier ? Any suggestions ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to condition a crawl space?-image-1311248529.jpg   How to condition a crawl space?-image-134605987.jpg  
zero80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,414

Seal up and insulate the ribbon boards, spray foam all the gaps/cracks, put rigid foam on the stem walls (performs better than FG), cut a hole in a supply side duct to push in heated/cooled air.

There are a ton of threads in the insulation section for reference.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Canucker (09-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,576

I'd leave at least one small area accessible for sill plate inspection so you can tell when the condensation begins to form there and any surface above grade.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

Trying to figure out which foam board to go with. I going to call city tomorrow to see what fire code is req for the crawl spaces because some of the foam board since for 15min fire rating had cover with drywall. Also can I put foam board up against the block without vapor barrier if dry?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 536

Do you mean to put the furnace in that space?

There are rules about the access to the furnace for repairs/inspection. Check it first before you commit to it. If you have one, the hvac installer should give you a better advice, although if you insist, future pains are all yours. Fire code also has a specific area above and around the furnace that must be covered with half-5/8 sheetrock or flame resistant materials. Should resist burning for an hour, I think. Check/ask for the rules.

If you're going to seal/insulate that space, I think rockwool would be better choice. Seal frame joints (basically all joints) with caulk/spray foam. Both can be applied but many times just sit on the surface, so press them into the joints anyway you can. Leave the space access open to indoor air. If you seal against the air movement from outside, foam boards aren't always necessary.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Who what I check for the fire codes?
Should I remove the current insulation up against the block wall and replace it with rockwall or foam board? I really hate fiberglass insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement