How To Build Fire Block Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddsrph

Old 09-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 877

How to build fire block wall

I am thinking about building a 30 by 40 by 12 ( 4/12 roof pitch)metal building with an apartment 16 by 40 inside. The ends of apartment will be built into large openings at each end of metal building and be wood framing construction. One side will be up against metal with small gap. The roof will be flat and the other long wall running the 40 foot building length dividing it in roughly half. The whole apartment will be wood stud framing with 2 by 12 ceiling joist for the flat roof.My fire block concerns to meet codes is the flat roof and exposed side. I was thinking of having one firerated door on this wall opening into garage/storage part of building with this wall covered by osb then 5/8 firerated sheet rock then covered by 26 gauge roofing metal like that which will cover the entire metal building. The flat roof will have same covering as this wall. The only thing thru this roof would be a plumbing vent pipe. Would this work or is there a better way?

Thanks
JM
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,618

Re: How to build fire block wall

I think you are close, your fire wall will want to go right to the roof and sealed to the roof or you have to have sub floor above the ceiling, depending on local code.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #3

Neil
Thanks for reply. My intention is to have 8 foot tall structure with the flat roof made for some lite storage on top. That would mean the metal building would be much taller. Imagine a 40 foot by 16 foot by 8 foot box inside a metal building with 12 foot walls and with the 4/12 roof about 17 foot tall at the peak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
Neil
Thanks for reply. My intention is to have 8 foot tall structure with the flat roof made for some lite storage on top. That would mean the metal building would be much taller. Imagine a 40 foot by 16 foot by 8 foot box inside a metal building with 12 foot walls and with the 4/12 roof about 17 foot tall at the peak.
So much like a pole barn over a trailer.
So you do have code about sealing the walls between the garage and the house for auto off gasses and then you will need a railing on the storage space too.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

I know a little about the codes involved but this is a little different than normal with the flat roof and no sealable attic space. To me actually easier to seal that having an attic space.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
I know a little about the codes involved but this is a little different than normal with the flat roof and no sealable attic space. To me actually easier to seal that having an attic space.
Still best to talk to inspector types first.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
Engineer

Rewards Points: 182

There are 2 ways to come up with a design for a fire-rated assembly:
1) Use prescriptive methods from your building code. Look in chapter 7 for Calculated Fire Resistance.
2) Use an approved standard. UL465 is probably the most common UL standard for a fire rated partition, but you may not have access to their standards (without paying big bucks). Gypsum Association has free standards accessible online. I suggest you try them out.

Some fire rated assemblies have a "fire side". I'd think that the side which is not the interior of your living space would be the fire side.

Also heed the advice already given with regards to not having openings from the garage to a sleeping room. For your own safety, load that place up with fire detection and CO2 detection.

I'm a former building plans examiner with a couple degrees in fire protection technology. The above is how I'd advise someone if they called my desk asking how to approach the situation you described.

Good luck with your project.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #8

Thanks all for the advice. My initial contact with the codes dept was pleasant and I got the impression they would be helpfull and easy to work with. My building philosophy is more on the overkill side rather than trying to beat the system. I will run some ideas by the inspector and go from there,
Nealtw likes this.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 492

Basic fire code deals with giving you time to escape than saving the building. You have a box in a box with some gaps between the walls. I would think that the fire escapes through these gaps will have to be proofed to give you time and not to block the escape. Those gaps probably will have to be sealed against traveling fire.
There are also fire extinguishers that are simple. They are extinguisher filled cans that can be hung from ceilings. They have own triggers. This was a few years ago so search, but not sure if they'd be available.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 492

About that ceiling mounted cans. I looked into it some years ago. Now I'm finding that these are mostly images and ads from india, not usa. Sorry about that. I was searching because I put a generator into a small storage and wondering if I should have some kind of fire protection. At the time, I decided I can't use these because these cans have a temperature limitations and the storage got past such temps. I drywalled everything instead. These cans still look good to me, except probably usa has a fool proof regulations. But if self triggered fire extinguishers help your cause, it's worth looking into. Maybe you can select pin point protection (and low cost) system that gets you past some fire codes.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

The more I look at my plan the use of a metal building may not be the way to go considering the fire proofing issues and insulation problems of metal construction. Before I give up on the idea I am going to talk with codes and inspection people and try to get a complete plan from them on what I would have to do to make it work.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

I have decided rather than have any part that could be used as a garage eliminated in my plan. Still a 30 by 40 but use more of building for apartment. A 12 foot wide roll up door on one gable end and a 12 foot by 8 foot opening on back gable end with no door but framing plus window and apartment back door. On the front with the 12 foot roll up door go inside 8 foot and frame to ceiling with windows and residential entry door. The front 8 foot would become the covered front porch and the 12 foot roll up door would usually stay open but could be closed during storms or when going away for extended period. The apartment would run full 30 foot building width.
No garage, no storage no firewall issues???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement