Home Repair Question - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Repair Question

Just had a general question about what a part was called on the outside of a house and how to go about repairing it. The house I have was built in the 1960's and the part runs above the roof of the garage and below the roof of the house. It is all painted wood and looks as though it has a piece of molding that runs along the top, and a 1 x 6 that it is nailed to that runs along the bottom (see attached pic).

I was thinking about stripping the paint, scraping, sanding, priming and painting, but as an alternative to restoring, I was wondering if there would be some kind of aluminum or vinyl siding part that that could just cover it up. And if so, what would the part(s) be referred to as.

Any feedback would help.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Repair Question-dsc03110.jpg  
gsasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

Looks like just a 1 x 6 and shingle molding.
If the old paint was scraped off it could be wrapped with coil stock.
By the looks of it you may have some other issues.
Looks like there's no drip edge, shingles may not have enough over hang.
The wood never should have been in contact with the shingles.
It looks like someone may have smeared caulking at the wood to shingle area, which just makes a mess and does nothing.
gsasser (07-06-2015), jmon (07-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That is a 'facia'--that board would be best if replaced with a white PVC board and matching PVC trim.

Any wood you use will be subject to high moisture and lots of maintenance--

Capping that bad wood with aluminum will hide the problem--but allow the old wood to continue to rot.
gsasser (07-06-2015), Gymschu (07-06-2015), jmon (07-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,220

I would wonder about what sort of step flashing there is(n't) at that elevation change too. You don't want to make it look nice if its a leak waiting to happen.
gsasser (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,836

Yes, re step flashing, there should be some there (that starts under the wood strip and bends 90deg and ends up under the lower shingles) and when you remove that wood strip you have to be careful not to disturb that flashing.

Not sure if the higher piece is a metal drip edge or another piece of wood. If it's a metal drip edge it will be nailed under the higher shingles and not removable. If it's wood just replace it as well. Both should be replaced with PVC, but even with the PVC you should have 1/2" clearance above the lower level shingles. Make sure you don't build up the layers so much that the higher shingles don't overlap at least 1/2".

If you ever get the roof reshingled totally I would replace all of it with one piece of metal.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
gsasser (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. Craig. I like the idea of PVC board and trim that Mike suggested (or a similar material in flashing that you mentioned) due to its weather-resistance.

The wierd thing is exactly what joecaption noticed, that the shingle layer on the bottom goes under the edge of the 1x6 and the molding on top touches the bottom edge of the shingles above it. Both edges have also been flooded with what looks like a silicone caulk.

I am just wondering if I installed a similar setup in PVC, would I have to run silicone above the molding and below the 1x6 in order to seal any gaps where they come in contact with the shingles.

Then there's the issue of removing it all again after it's repaired in order to put a new roof on due to the engineering of the area.

Not the best architectural design I'll admit.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,836

"the shingle layer on the bottom goes under the edge of the 1x6"
The shingles should go under the 1x6, but the 1x6 should not meet the shingles, there should always be a gap, minimum in your case 1/2" to 1". This assumes there is step flashing under the 1x6 and the lower shingles.

"the molding on top touches the bottom edge of the shingles above it."
This is as it should be.

"Both edges have also been flooded with what looks like a silicone caulk."
The fact that someone did that, likely after the fact, should set off alarm bells in your head. You should get into the attic above the garage and house and see what you can see in this area.

"I am just wondering if I installed a similar setup in PVC, would I have to run silicone above the molding and below the 1x6 in order to seal any gaps where they come in contact with the shingles."
NO! Properly done this will not need any caulk, and certainly not silicone.

"Then there's the issue of removing it all again after it's repaired in order to put a new roof on due to the engineering of the area.
If and when you reroof, you replace this whole pile of junk with a single aluminum flashing that starts under the low shingles, goes up 6", and ends under the high shingles.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
gsasser (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #8

Thanks Chuck! A very informative and helpful reply. Next step is the tear off and replacement process. We'll see how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to gsasser For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 526

That is a "rake board and trim"; pp. 148 "C" or if area below it, "barge rafter/trim" see "D"; https://books.google.com/books?id=E5...20beam&f=false

Fascia is usually at gutter line (eaves), 141-148. I agree with Mike on the PVC, though, :-)

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 07-07-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
gsasser (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #10

Wow! Thank you for the link to the book covering frame construction Gary. That is a great resource. Diagrams with parts labeled. That's awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to gsasser For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (07-09-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #11

Just thought I would post an after photo of the facia after it was redone. I discovered that there are two roofs up there and it looks as though the second layer of shingles was caulked along the edge when placed under the 1x6.

With a new roof in sight in the next couple of years, I decided to go with just a touch up job. Went ahead and scraped, stripped, sanded, primed and painted. I am some what happy with the result, but hopefully when they put the new roof on they will tear that junk out and reinstall everything correctly.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Repair Question-dsc03116.jpg  
Old 07-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Your roofer will be glad to tear that out---reroofing will be easier and better without that in place---be sure and let them know about the added work---
gsasser (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,388

Looks much better. Good work!
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayHair For This Useful Post:
gsasser (07-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement