Home Depot's Free Water Test - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 119

Home Depot's Free Water Test

I got one of those envelops for a water test in Home Depot that you mail a sample somewhere. I am thinking of getting a system so while I knew this would result in some kind of sales pitch I assumed that I would at least get a test result to compare to the city's numbers and that the sales pitch would be made by a reputable company or Home Depot itself. Home Depot and Lowes do offer some decent free home consolations for things like fences and windows.

Anyways, I finally picked up a phone call that was coming from a non-business line after I noticed that they had called for the 10th time. I assumed it was someone with a wrong number or someone looking for someone who previously had this phone number but it was actually some psychotic sales employee of some scam artist company who berated me for having not answered all her previous calls and then insisted that I book an appointment on the phone with her for someone to come to my house and test my water because they would only be in my area until the end of the year. It was the most obvious hard sell con artist sales call of all time... after searching the internet it seems that this is a total scam with sales people coming to people's homes and refusing to leave and insulting them... mind boggling that a company as big as Home Depot is involved with these con artists.
SpaceCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Thanks for the warning. It's too bad that you had to go through that. I hope they quit calling and don't sell your phone number to other companies. It's ridiculous that anyone should have to worry about something like that from a major business like HD.

Maybe you should contact the store manager and let him or her know how you were treated and that they are knowingly or unknowingly participating in a scam that is causing customers to lose trust in their store.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,688

I can't imagine why anyone would want to test their water....unless your on a well.....

There are standards for water quality....if you have hard water....it's pretty easy to tell....

And if you are on a well....you do what everyone around is doing....filter....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,236

This must just be your local store I haven't seen it anywhere else, but really I haven't looked. I would contact that store and complain, if the results were not satisfactory I would go to the national level.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,652

I get too worked up over these kind of tactics. When we bought our home this high pressure outfit got our name from someone and became so belligerent that I was driven to go felony assault on the guy. I chased him down the street with a tire iron and had he been too slow I would have opened up his head. If "No thank you" dose not work I go straight to deranged psychopath mode.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,130

If I need a 2x4 or a box of nails, I'll go to HD. Professional advice, forget it. I won't ask a clerk anything other than what aisle something is on.

Most (if not all) of HD's installers, whether for carpet, countertops, windows, water softeners, etc., do not actually work for HD; they are independent contractors. I don't know what critera HD uses to select such people, though from what I've heard around here about some of their work, quality isn't one of them. If you want a water test, take a sample to your local Health Department or call somebody like Culligan. I've dealt with them a couple of times without getting the hard sell (pardon the pun).

Last edited by md2lgyk; 12-11-2013 at 09:45 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
custom user

Rewards Points: 1,820

I don't know if it's related but here HD has a Red Beacon service where the contractor pays to get on a call list for service work. They are just providing a service and not directly affiliated with HD. I would have hung up fairly quickly and if they called back might have been motivated to work my way up HD's chain of command to complain about the company.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
If I need a 2x4 or a box of nails, I'll go to HD. Professional advice, forget it. I won't ask a clerk anything other than what aisle something is on.
Sometimes they don't even get that right. I stopped in HD in Joplin Mo to grab a box of concrete tack strip and the guy there figuring bids didn't know that there was a different strip for concrete floors.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Sometimes they don't even get that right. I stopped in HD in Joplin Mo to grab a box of concrete tack strip and the guy there figuring bids didn't know that there was a different strip for concrete floors.
So right. Something similar happened to me. Went to a different HD than I usually do, and of course it was laid out nothing like the one I was familiar with. I asked a clerk where to find the drywall nails, only to be told "There's no such thing. Drywall is put up with screws."

Since I'm now retired, I've thought of picking up a part-time job at HD or Lowe's just for something to do. But I'm afraid that part of the new-employee orientation might include sucking my brain dry of everything I know. Plus, I don't know if I could stand the look of dismay on the faces of some of my contractor friends when they learned I'd sunk so low. Maybe I'll just pimp or sell drugs instead.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 398

You could do like Al Bundy and sell women's shoes.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
You could do like Al Bundy and sell women's shoes.
Naw, I'm gonna shovel horse**** for a nickel a herd so I can keep my self-respect.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 118

That's why I just look it up on my phone, the HD mobile website will tell you what aisle it is in, if it's supposedly in stock
zolakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

let me sum it up for those confused:

HD is in it for the money.

If it makes money and is not illegal, its fair game.

I'm always hesitant to leave my phone number for anything that is "free". My buddies phone number, not so much
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement