HID Ballast - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

HID Ballast

I use a 600 watt metal halide light for my backyard security. A tree branch fell and destroyed the light and fixture in the most recent storm. I ordered a new fixture and bulb and the connector was just different enough that it didn't fit in the ballast. I figured that i could just cut/splice the cables between the fixture and ballast and eliminate the connectors. Seemed simple enough. They both had the same gauge white, black, and green wires. I connected it with the correct wire nuts and also reinforced them with electrical tape. It did not work. I proceeded to put a meter on the cables coming out of the ballast (while it was plugged in of course.) I am getting 60v when I touch the green and white, 60v when i touch the green and black. I am getting a .82v reading when I touch the black and white. The ballast is 120v only. This is baffling to me and I am having a hard time believing that the ballast (which is insdie) has failed. I just feel like i am doing something wrong. Any insight? Thanks in advance.
bnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,486

Re: HID Ballast

Sorry this is probably useless. I just put in HID projector headlights. During research, it came up that ballasts can fail. Only diagnosis seems to be exchange with good ballast and see if the light works.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

I appreciate the response carp. I just find it difficult to believe that the ballast failed at the same time. I had it on a timer so that it wasn't running during daylight hours, so when the accident happened, there was no power being sent to it. I have also bought 2 bulbs and tried both, so it is highly suspect that both lights could be bad.

Last edited by bnoel; 10-16-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added info
bnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,486

I just assume that things, new or old, can fail. Esp these days when relatively cheap means no quality control. Try HIDplanet. They seem to be enthusiasts there.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
120v , going nuts , hid light , light fixtures