Help Please: Modify Surface Mount Toilet Paper Holder - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Question

Help Please: Modify Surface Mount Toilet Paper Holder

Hi, new to forum. Definitely in need of help on this one. Bought and installed bunch of matching allen + roth Mitchell bathroom products in bathroom remodel, including the Surface Mount Toilet Paper Holder[/URL]. The problem (common I read) is spring is too stiff/stout and the spindle doesnt compress well, thus the mounts get knocked off constantly it is an "extra long spindle" 7.5" total length fully uncompressed, and is brushed nickel finish so hard to find replacement spindle.

Any way so I thought, "I'll change out the spring!". But that has been hard as well. it is 7" free length, 3/4" hole diameter except for 5/8" at each end. 1/16" wire diameter... No idea what the measured stiffness is, but is is SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer than any tp spindle ive ever come across. would love to change out a better spring or really Any DIY Mod I can do b/c this holder matches like 4 other things already installed...

Any advice Much Appreciated!

Khufudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufudude View Post
Hi, new to forum. Definitely in need of help on this one. Bought and installed bunch of matching allen + roth Mitchell bathroom products in bathroom remodel, including the Surface Mount Toilet Paper Holder[/URL]. The problem (common I read) is spring is too stiff/stout and the spindle doesnt compress well, thus the mounts get knocked off constantly it is an "extra long spindle" 7.5" total length fully uncompressed, and is brushed nickel finish so hard to find replacement spindle.

Any way so I thought, "I'll change out the spring!". But that has been hard as well. it is 7" free length, 3/4" hole diameter except for 5/8" at each end. 1/16" wire diameter... No idea what the measured stiffness is, but is is SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer than any tp spindle ive ever come across. would love to change out a better spring or really Any DIY Mod I can do b/c this holder matches like 4 other things already installed...

Any advice Much Appreciated!

The 5/8" at each end may be necessary and if it is the other DIY mod would be to change the wire diameter to smaller which would be easy for me in my meager shop using my shop made bench grinder.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,140

I can see a couple of easy options for you to try. The 1st would be to just go and buy a really cheap (plastic) toilet paper holder and use the spring out of it, I'm sure it would be weaker. Another option would be to just cut a couple of wraps of the existing spring off, it would probably take a grinder or something like that. If it's shorter it would definitely need less compression to fit into the holder.
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I can see a couple of easy options for you to try. The 1st would be to just go and buy a really cheap (plastic) toilet paper holder and use the spring out of it, I'm sure it would be weaker. Another option would be to just cut a couple of wraps of the existing spring off, it would probably take a grinder or something like that. If it's shorter it would definitely need less compression to fit into the holder.

The spring on this one is longer and goes the full length of spinle <ABOVE> ("old school" spindle <BELOW> spring sits in Big half and presses against (a plastic 'rim' piece) on small half & much less stiff.

This spindle is all metal (brass or zinc i think) with brushed nickel finish. Has tapered ends. maybe I could insert in a piece (plastic/rubber ring?) in one side so I could use "old school" spindle spring (much less stiff)?
Any thoughts much appreciated
Old 10-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,140

I've never seen them with a short spring like that before, everyone I've ever seen in the long spring. Just go buy a cheap replacement spindle at one of the big box stores in you to spring out of it. Or just cut off the end of the spring for your new holder like I suggested. If you decide to cut it just take a little at a time, you can always take off more if you still have to further reduce the tension.
Khufudude (10-07-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #6

Update: Sorry for the delay

Hey guys, just for closure... I tried un/rescrewing and re-anchoring the plates and making sure the post was on securely (checking direction/slid on properly/drop of blue threadlock on end of set screw).

The posts didn't come loose as easily, but the spindle is annoying to change rolls because of its stiffness. I looked at/bought a few 'replacement spindles' from Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and Amazon (~$2-2.50 each) but they all had 'half length' springs. My 'longer spindle' spring runs the whole length, and the spring and tapered ends fit snug to keep it held together. I tried ways of using shorter springs with stuff like o-rings and and cone washers but there was nothing keeping the two sides together so they would seperate with the tiniest provocation. on 'old school' (plastic) spindles, there is a small ridge around the indside (big half) and outside (small half).

There are a couple other brands that make the 'new style' (longer) double post TP holders... So I could have bought one for around $25 and poss. used its spindle or spring in mine... and then i was like "wth this is crazy"

So I uninstalled all the Allen + Roth matching crap (TP, Towel Bar, Robe hook, Towel ring) ($48) and returned it to Lowes. I bought similar Moen stuff ($65) but with 'New State of the Art' Pivoting TP holder. Score!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom accessories , toilet paper holder