Help With Cable Clutter - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 358

Help with cable clutter

I am looking for examples of ways you have organize the cable clutter. Pictures would be great and any suggestion or opinions will be appreciated.

This home was built in 2006 and had cable, phone and network wired "professionally" wired. A GreyFox structured wiring panel was installed but was undersized from the beginning. Also, both Comcast and DirecTv seemed to think their equipment was better. I lived with it until the poorly mounted panel came loose from the wall.

I removed the panel, untangled the rats nest and mounted a board to the wall with tap cons. I need power for 2 signal amps, 1 cable modem, 1 DirectTv network adapter, 1 router and a few outlets for future expansion.

Sorry the picture is sideways. It is correct on my PC but flips sideways when I upload it. I will try to figure out how to fix that.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with cable clutter-20150121_143550.jpg  

Last edited by RegeSullivan; 01-21-2015 at 03:13 PM.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,988

The link to more products.

http://www.support.philips.com/suppo...=UTF-8&page=4#

ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 358

Thanks ron45, I don't think I want to change the hardware as much as looking for a way to manage the cables.

I would really like some pics of what others have done.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 736

If it's just about having it LOOK nice, for me it's about having everything..... orthogonal. Have everything come in at a right angle to the board you're mounting it on, and then take only 90 degree turns (within reason, coax is a pain to bend and you don't want to kink anything). So everything that goes "up" goes STRAIGHT up the wall and then runs along the ceiling joist, and everything that goes left or right goes STRAIGHT left or right and then runs along the wall to where it needs to go. THen wehn you look at your wall of wires you can at least FOLLOW them, and label them in a way that makes sense.

You can bundle some things if that works for you but I always find it more of a pain than it's worth. I'd rather have ten parallel wires going up the wall (it's an unfinished area of the basement, right?) than have a bundle go up the wall and then have to take apart the bundle every time I need to do something.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 20

for me, it wasn't so much the "clutter" as being able to identify what was what. I have three different computers set up at my desk in my home office, plus a TV, cable box, wi-fi, cable modem, etc, etc, etc.

Anytime I need to change something or fix something there are about 30 wires. I took a sheet of "removable" file folder labels, marked what each wire was for the placed the label on the wire at the power plugs and in the back of the cabinet where everything is located. This included the cables for various components (monitors, mouse, keyboards, etc)

Under my desk I used conduit clamps to hold all the wires that run under the desk so they are not hanging down in my way.

Hope this helps...
Michael L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 45

Do a google image search for "structured wiring", "structured cable" and "home network closet". You will see tons of good examples.

I recently wired up my whole house while it was being remodeled and did a lot of research and saw a lot of cool pictures. I still have to make a thread in the showcase section, hopefully will get around to that soon.
jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

At home, I also arrange cables as TheBobmanNH said, the wires run along the wall and the ceiling. It is easy to do right from the start, but your case is probably quite difficult to rearrange. Maybe you should ask a electrician to help organize them all.
vickyChou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cable clutter , greyfox , structured wiring