Hardwood Floor Over Concrete - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood floor over concrete

On DIY yesterday on HOH he said you should never put hard wood over concrete that has earth under the slab. Well that same day on house crashes he did just that. Why does DIY have shows on that tell you to do the opposite? I do like both shows. I like Holmes on Homes better. I thought about putting hardwood in my basement but realized the change in temp from the slab may cause an issue so I went with floor heat and tile like he did on that episode. It was cool that I did the same thing he did before I even seen the show.
War3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Holmes uses different rules, when he works on homes. That is, his rules are never to go by the bare minimum code, go a couple steps over and make sure that no one has to come behind you, to correct your mistakes.

Shows like House Crashers, Bath Crashers, Yard Crashers, etc are there to sell manufacturers products. Holmes is also there to sell products, but he also has stated that he is not your typical contractor.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,760

Holmes does a lot of things that are allowed by code but not a good idea. Remember, codes are usually for safety. Not for longtevity of products. All contractors see things done on those home improvement shows that are not allowed in the real world.

Last edited by rusty baker; 10-16-2011 at 06:09 PM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

Well Holmes is the one that would not put wood over ground slab. It's house crashes that did put it over ground slab
Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Many of these shows are basically, 3 Stooges with tools. They pander to imbeciles.
You need to know the difference between sound building practices and a theather of the absurd, or you'll fall into the trap of, "but I saw it on TV": why doesn't it work in my house scenario?
I'm glad you spotted the discrepancy.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by War3 View Post
Well Holmes is the one that would not put wood over ground slab. It's house crashes that did put it over ground slab
There is no problem with placing wood flooring on a slab for a home on slab. It is just that you need to follow the manufacturer directions when doing so.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Many of these shows are basically, 3 Stooges with tools. They pander to imbeciles.
You need to know the difference between sound building practices and a theather of the absurd, or you'll fall into the trap of, "but I saw it on TV": why doesn't it work in my house scenario?
This is the absolute truest thing I have ever seen written here..PERIOD. Add to this the idiots who write the "Ask the Handyman" columns in the real estate section of the local newspapers.

Every DIY'er and homeowner contemplating hiring anyone shoud be required to write this post 100 times and do a 500 word essay on it.

But I saw it on ???????? show on tv, why can't you:

Totally gut and redesign my master bath, including cutting the slab to relocate fixtures, build a tiled shower stall, rewire, drywall, trim, and paint in three days.

Spend $25K on this fixer upper I bought for $20K and do a slab to roof renovation in 3 weeks, and I will make a $75K profit when I flip the house with one week on the market.

ETC, ETC
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,172

Well, while we're here, let me ask. Is there anything wrong w/ wood over a slab, if we have these layers: well drained ground; compacted gravel; a good vapor barrier (like Steggo Wrap, or 10 or 15 mil poly); several inches of rigid foam; slab, w/ radiant heat. This assumes the "wood" product is OK'd for radiant heat by the manufacturer. Opinions? thanks. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel
Well, while we're here, let me ask. Is there anything wrong w/ wood over a slab, if we have these layers: well drained ground; compacted gravel; a good vapor barrier (like Steggo Wrap, or 10 or 15 mil poly); several inches of rigid foam; slab, w/ radiant heat. This assumes the "wood" product is OK'd for radiant heat by the manufacturer. Opinions? thanks. j
IMO with both of those you should be fine. In my home I just did not know what was under the slab. My garage floor gets damp when i open the door with the fast temp change so I did not want to risk it.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,172

War: that is my thinking, too. It seems you have (virtually) eliminated the culprit w/ all that preparation, the culprit being liquid water. I know that at least one real, non-engineered wood flooring company does not recommend radiant floor heat w/ their wood. I think the engineered wood stuff is OK w/ it.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement