Gutter Repair Advice - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hkstroud
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 03-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Gutter repair advice

Hi All:

Ok, I got a standing seam roof with gutters that was installed before the standing seam was installed. So new gutters was installed on old asphalt shingle roof and later standing seam was installed but the gutters never got removed/re-installed.

After the metal roof was installed, the water would over shoot the gutter so the roofer installed a shield along the entire length to defect the water back into the gutter.

The gutters are hanging because the gutter got plugged and water filled it and the wind tore 1/3 of the gutter hangers loose.

I've attached a close up of the end of the gutter where its hanging off. You can see the defector and how the drip edge was notched for the gutter clips. You can't see it but I believe there's a trim mold at the top edge of the roof so the drip edge does not mount flat to the facia. So I believe the gutter is sitting too far back, thats why the rain would overshoot the gutter.

What are my options? Please help.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Gutter repair advice-gutter-side-view.jpg  
Attached Images

magic_diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,802

Re: Gutter repair advice

Problem is roof rafters cut wrong. That piece of aluminum is just aluminum fascia. Should be behind gutter. Roof sheathing should end at top edge of wooden fascia or over hang just slightly. Shingles should over hang roof sheathing about 1".

End of rafters should be plumb (straight up and down) so back side of gutter (at the bottom) has something to rest against.
Attached Thumbnails
Gutter repair advice-roof-rafters.jpg  
Windows on Wash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,890

They should have used gutter wedges, also I'd be replacing the gutters and installing wider gutters and bigger downspouts.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...vtChNdWnEfGbM:
Windows on Wash likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,288

+1 to previous posters observations and advice.

You can put gutter wedges on it and I would use a screw, hidden hanger.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #5

Hi:

Thanks for reply guys.

Let me make some corrections to some of your comments/suggestions.

1) The gutter was installed with the wedges to make up for the slanted facia, you can see it in the first pic.

2) There is a wood facia (2x4) attached to the rafter tails. You can see it in the first pic.

3) I'm pretty certain the aluminum piece is the drip edge, it was installed with the standing seam roof. The drip edge doesn't sit flush to the facia because as I mentioned, there is a 1x trim mold at the top edge.

4) The rear of the gutter was installed behind the drip edge but in the first pic its shown outside because some of the clips got torn off so its currently hanging which is what brought me here.

I may be using the wrong terminology for some things so I apologize if I am and bare with me.

-------------------

I don't want to go off tangent here but I want to discuss the facia part. So having a slanted facia is wrong? But they make the wedges for the gutter to account for this.

I'm really thinking the root of the problem is the 1x trim mold which doesn't allow the lower part of the drip edge to mount flush to the facia. Other separate sections of our house has a 2x trim mold so its really obvious the lower part of the drip edge "floats" off the facia and gable end.

Please help.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 AM   #6

I added some notes to one of the pics for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Gutter repair advice-gutter-side-view.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,890

I always remove that piece of 1 X, it's no longer needed with metal roofing in place.
Once removed I wrap the exposed wood in coil stock before installing the gutters.
In one case I dealt with the metal roofing hung out so far I had to make solid wedges out of PVC lumber to get it out far enough.
It would have made life a whole lot easier if those tails had of been recut before the new roofing went on but there's ways around it.
I see this exposed rafters style roof all the time, even my own home used to have them.
Any Bungalow style home I've seen has them.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:44 AM   #8

joecaption,

appreciate the response.

removing the 1x is not an option for me. Any other suggestions?

--------------------------

I think I found a solution. I found these two pictures of gutters installed on metal roofs. So basically, similar to the pictures, I'd mount my gutter on the outside of the drip-edge/metal-fascia. And if the water runs behind the gutter, it will still hit the drip-edge, not any wood. I'd have to mount the clips as high a possible so the screws hit the 1x behind the drip edge. Btw, ignore the roof top strap, I would never want to screw anything into my standing seam. I have a more radical solution for a top strap IF needed.

My concern with this solution is, the 1x material is still at an angle so the screws for the clips will be going in at a downward angle making the gutter slope downward.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Gutter repair advice-gutter-metal-roof-1.jpeg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement