Gizmo From Cell Phone To Wired Phone Works! Works Good! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Justin_99

Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 462

Gizmo from cell phone to wired phone works! Works good!

It is not often that I have anything good to say about any of the products made lately. Most of them do not work properly from the get go or break soon after purchase.

Well I recently decided to dump my landline phone because the phone company has lied to me about the charges, signed me up for things I don't need, etc. (If they would charge me what they say they are going to charge me, then no problem. But No!)

Anyway I found a gizmo which attaches to your cell phone via Bluetooth and you can then connect a regular wired phone to it (called a XLink BT). And best of all it it works! And works good no less!

Plus it has software which allows you to upgrade to the latest firmware (a rare thing with things made in China these days). And that works too! Excellent instructions for EVERYTHING! (Many things don't have instructions anymore.)

Just a good overall well designed product! Amazing! This is the way things used to be designed - well thought out as to the needs of the consumer. And customer support/upgrades.

This seems to be the only product this company makes. I hope they go on to make more products, which also work good.

Well back to trying to figure out how to do basic things on my POS Windows 10 computer...
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Last edited by Justin_99; 05-07-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Justin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 978

Re: Gizmo from cell phone to wired phone works! Works good!

Can you give us some more information on it so we can consider buying it for personal use.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Just google XLink BT. Following is their web site...
http://www.myxlink.com

I've checked around and this seems to be the ONLY product which does something like this? You would think there would be many!

Also the following "regular phone handset" (VTech LS916 Retro Handset) which plugs into a cell phone headphone jack is easier for us older folks to hear...
(google "Retro Phone Handset" for various models/manufacturers.)

Last edited by Justin_99; 05-07-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

FYI - The following is the type of phone I connected to my cell phone. I went into software settings (for the XLink BT) using a USB cable and switched tip/ring and added a voltage boost for more ringing power. And it works just fine.

I also selected a U.K. ring tone. Sounds like I am in England! Sounds like this...
www.beepzoid.com/ringtones/oldphone1.mp3

Last edited by Justin_99; 05-07-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

vtech has a few phones that claim that will connect to your cell phone to receive and place calls. Never tried any. https://www.vtechphones.com/telephon...onnect-to-cell
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_99 View Post
It is not often that I have anything good to say about any of the products made lately. Most of them do not work properly from the get go or break soon after purchase.

Well I recently decided to dump my landline phone because the phone company has lied to me about the charges, signed me up for things I don't need, etc. (If they would charge me what they say they are going to charge me, then no problem. But No!)

Anyway I found a gizmo which attaches to your cell phone via Bluetooth and you can then connect a regular wired phone to it (called a XLink BT). And best of all it it works! And works good no less!

Plus it has software which allows you to upgrade to the latest firmware (a rare thing with things made in China these days). And that works too! Excellent instructions for EVERYTHING! (Many things don't have instructions anymore.)

Just a good overall well designed product! Amazing! This is the way things used to be designed - well thought out as to the needs of the consumer. And customer support/upgrades.

This seems to be the only product this company makes. I hope they go on to make more products, which also work good.

Well back to trying to figure out how to do basic things on my POS Windows 10 computer...
I've had Xlink for about 4 years now. I have it in the kitchen and we have 3 cell phones connected to it. Everybody just drops their cell phone by the box when they come in and the bluetooth automatically connects the cell phones to the home phone system. You can take or make calls from any regular phone in the house and direct your calls though any of the cell phones connected.

It's a nice little device. You can get rid of your land line if you wish (we did), but you don't have to. Your landline can plug right into the Xlink and function normally along with the cell phones.

http://www.myxlink.com/index.aspx
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 712

it's quite expensive considering blu-tooth cordless phones are only a bit more.

plus landlines are more reliable in emergencies and for 911, legally required to have long lasting backup and are easily pinned to the correct address.

and for anyone else reading this, if your large national landline company is abusing you, find another - there are tons of third party companies.

in canada it's bell and rogers and both are abusive both to customers and employees but stay just because people don't know any better, are bound thinking there's nothing better and accept high prices, poor service, out-sourcing as normal.

it's not normal, it's like that because people are complacent and refuse to take a stand.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 05-11-2017 at 12:49 AM.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
it's quite expensive considering blu-tooth cordless phones are only a bit more.
The only bluetooth cordless phones I have seen only do up to two cell phones at the same time. Xlink does three.
The bluetooth phones are not firmware upgradable.
You can't choose distinctive ring tones on blue tooth phones so you don't know who's cell phone is ringing.

There is lots more but I won't go any further. I will say I have BOTH technologies and the Xlink runs circles around the blue tooth phones.

Quote:
plus landlines are more reliable in emergencies and for 911, legally required to have long lasting backup and are easily pinned to the correct address.
Not true. Security systems are now recommending cell phone connections because there is no land line to be cut and therefore no way to stop the signal from getting through short of cell phone jamming equipment which is both expensive and illegal to the consumer.

Speak for yourself. We came to the conclusion 4 years ago that if you have a cell phone then landline are a waste of time and money. After we all got cell phones the only people using the land line were the telephone solicitors. We have been without a land line for 4 years now and don't miss it a single solitary bit.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

For cell phone 911, they recommend you turn on location and GPS. Also to give the 911 operator your address/location when calling 911 for an emergency.

They will then get the location from the cell phone, but also get the location from you.

BTW- I've only ONCE in my life needed 911 at the exact location I was calling from. Every other time it was something happening across the street, down the street, etc. So they needed my verbal description of the location of the incident.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,604

My house alarm monitoring company recommends using a land line. Works better and is more secure and reliable than VOIP apparently.

I also use telephone banking and don't trust internet banking so I keep my landline.

There are Pro's and con's to everything.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 712

Quote:
Not true. Security systems are now recommending cell phone connections because there is no land line to be cut and therefore no way to stop the signal from getting through short of cell phone jamming equipment which is both expensive and illegal to the consumer.
security systems are an exception for the reason you stated.

cutting the phone line is a common tactic. security systems that rely on wires that can be cut aren't as effective even if the monitoring company can notify if communication has been lost - they won't dispatch or anything.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
My house alarm monitoring company recommends using a land line. Works better and is more secure and reliable than VOIP apparently.

I also use telephone banking and don't trust internet banking so I keep my landline.

There are Pro's and con's to everything.
VOIP (Voice Over INTERNET Protocol). This is not cellular technology.

Land lines can be cut. You can't cut a cell phone signal.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #13

Actually there are many choices for alarm monitoring these days...

Good old landline.
VOIP.
Cellular.
Internet.
Dual path internet and cellular.
Do-it-yourself self-monitoring via text/smart phone.

Do it yourself monitoring and all the others can be found at "Geoarm" and "Alarm Relay". Probably more companies out there.

Monitoring...
http://www.geoarm.com
https://www.alarmrelay.com

Monitoring gizmos...
https://ipdatatel.com/products/alarm-communicators
Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #14

Been doing the self monitoring for years too. We use
www.eyezon.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement