GFCI Wiring Configuration Wrong - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI Wiring Configuration Wrong

This one has me perplexed. An outlet on the back of my house used to work before I replaced the GFCI receptical that gave it power. Unfortunately, in the process of replacing it I didn't pay attention to how it was wired up. So, I can get one load coming from the GFCI working but not my back porch one.

The GFCI plug has three wires connected to it. One is the line from the power box for our house, the other two are loads that are connected to it. One goes to our upstairs bathroom recepticals (got those wired in correctly--they work), the other is to that back porch outlet--that's the one I can't seem to add without causing problems. Whenever I add it to the extra set of slots nothing works--including the upstairs bathroom and new GFCI receptical. It's doesn't trip from being overloaded--it just won't power up at all--once I take the porch load back off the upstairs outlet and GFCI receptacle work fine. So I think I just have the wiring configured wrong. I've tried lots of different combinations that I think make sense, but no go. So I am probably ready to call an electrician if no one can help me here. It just kills me though because it's probably a 5 minute job that I can easily do if I can figure it out.

I am uploading a diagram I created.
Attached Thumbnails
GFCI Wiring Configuration Wrong-wiring-configuration.jpg  
cabrzama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

You wired it incorrecrly.
Supply line in, load out. Thats 4 wires.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Each blue line represents two wires (black and white), same with the purple--so, not counting the grounds for each of those bundles, there are six wires attached to the GFCI plug--sorry I didn't make that more clear.
cabrzama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,060

I can't remember for sure, but I believe that when you go to branch off, you have to put the outgoing line on the line side, which bypassed the gcfi. I had this issue once when I branched off to a light/fan and another gcfi.

Not an electrician, so if you try this, be careful. I was running 3 gcfi's off one and the configuration drove me nuts for a few minutes.

Last edited by tinner666; 10-24-2011 at 08:11 PM.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,060

Your configuration looks correct. I wish I could remember what the issue was when I had it. Maybe a real sparky will chime in.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 506

First off, supplying a bath receptacle off this circuit is against code. That aside, when you hook up the back porch receptacle, you say nothing works. What happens? Does the breaker trip or does the GFCI trip and won’t reset? Is there anything plugged into the porch recept or does this recept feed other recepts? Have you taken the porch recept out and inspected for nicks in the wiring, excessive moisture, the ground wire touching the hot or neutral connections, etc? If hooking up the porch receptacle to the load side of the GFCI causes the GFCI to always trip, then there’s a problem with the wiring from the GFCI onward, something plugged into that part of the circuit, or something in the porch receptacle/box itself.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement