Garage Door Stops And Goes Going Down - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 108

Garage door stops and goes going down

Just in case you have this issue usually in the cold winter days.

It's 4 below zero and my garage door would start down then quit and start back up. over and over This was my problem.
I have a Stanley screw type drive.I released my door from the threaded screw drive by pulling the disconnect cord, hit the button and saw that the motor worked fine.
Removed my car out from under the threading drive rod and sprayed WD40 very lightly so I would have no drips on my car roof later.
Next I raised the door by hand and this is where I found a lot of excessive drag
I sprayed the roller track very good then wiped this out with a rag lubricated the wheels and saw one was dragging along the track thick dirt and old oil. I really soaked this one with WD40 then wiped this wheel clean lightly oiled all the track so no excessive oil would drip all over the floor.
I raised the door by hand and what a difference.
I reengaged my door with the track hit the door close button and (very quietly) the door went down
I did this about 5 times Today it was -9 degrees my wife raised the garage door and when she put it down she called me from the car " hey the garage door just worked for me. I told her you must have that magic touch.
Never told her I had solved the problem.
So if your door does the same try this first it only took about 10 min. total

Robert75
robert75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement