DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

floor joist rotted

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Bob 
#1 ·
Water leak in bathroom rotted approx 18" of 12' 2x10 joist. Floor area above joist is adjacent to tub but not under, and supports foot traffic only. I was planning to sister 2 5-6ft 2x10s to either side of the damaged member and secure with lag bolts. In addition a water pipe runs thru joist so I will need to notch both new members at approx 18" in. Suggestions or advice much appreciated Thanx

#4 ·
Bowman47K

Notches wll be 18"from support on 5ft sister joists whic will sandwich damaged joist. I have cut same back to undamaged wood and intend to treat same prior to repair. Thoughts, suggestions, precautions are all most welcome. I intend to use bolts to connect what is your advice as to numer and location. Thanx

#5 · (Edited)
Remove all rot/ You could treat with timbor or boric acid/ sister with PT crown up, but try to find straight wood.

assume you are going joist to joist/ screw 3" 3 at each end then staggered 3" oc and glue L-nail. Then go have a beer and watch the game. Don't forget to cover the hole so the cat won't get out or momma fall in.:furious:

#7 ·
Big Bob, Thanks for your advice. In reading responses to subflooring posts I note that pt wood is viewed as unacceptable by some who are of the opinion that the chemical treatment of the wood poses a health hazard when uses indoors. My usage will be limited to a few pieces of lumber but this did raise a flag. Your thoughts? Thanx, Commanderccody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.